kampman Offline

'95 945T: Winter beater wagon resurrection
Recently, I found myself pining for a project, so I bought this:

[Image: Unrndrr.jpg]

[Image: tlswsr2.jpg]

[Image: Crac0Wu.jpg]

[Image: wtHOEz1.jpg]

(sorry for the crappy CL pics)

Obviously, it's a 1995 940 Turbo. It looks like hell, but the body is pretty straight, it was a Florida car for most of its life so there's no rust or rot, and it was pretty well maintained-there are a bunch of dealer visits recorded in the Carfax. Unfortunately, the PO didn't really pick up where the first owner left off on its upkeep, and it came back to bite him after it lost most of its coolant and overheated at the end of a long road trip. Instead of fixing it, he listed it on CL for dirt cheap, so I decided to take a chance on it.

I got it home, took it apart, and found the following:

[Image: dCzxANpl.jpg]

[Image: io64gq7l.jpg]

[Image: sxvc7Yzl.jpg]

Toasty! Fortunately, there's still decent crosshatching in all 4 cylinders and there wasn't any milkshake in the sump, so I'm hoping it'll run OK once I get it back together.

I eventually found the root cause of the problem-one of the heater hoses split where it passes over the EGR plumbing.

[Image: CqQI2BA.jpg]

I ordered the parts I needed to put it back together last night and I have a line on a couple good cylinder heads, so hopefully it'll be running again in time for some hooning once the snow falls.

Once I know it's a decent driver I'll start considering some upgrades, but I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it until then. Watch this space...
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 12:10 PM by kampman.)
11-19-2013 12:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
'95 945T: Winter beater wagon resurrection - kampman - 11-19-2013 12:09 PM