голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
OKflyboy Offline

голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
So a year ago I decided it was time to retire my beater and get a cooler car. I was okay with a project however I had a few requirements. First off, it had to run already, had to seat five and have A/C. I wanted something safe for my wife (a new driver) to drive, but still be fun and capable of giving me a bit of spirited driving when desired. Also, I was looking to spend less then $1500.

My friend and coworker Gabe (y'all know him as shellshock) convinced me that an older turbo'd 2/7/940 Volvo would meet all these criteria. So... I bit the bullet.

So last February I bought this '86 Volvo 245GL with the intention of +t-ing her.

Here's a pic the day I took delivery (only pic that night, camera itself died after one pic):

Here's several more pics a couple of days later with my cell phone camera (after removing the roof rack):

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2011 10:11 AM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redwoodchair Offline

RE: голубой вагон (Blue Wagon)
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting your wagon's build thread.
I'll be watching it and making comments, don't worry!

All Hat No Cattle.

[Image: volvo_10.jpg]

12-28-2011 06:59 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Under the hood:

A tree fell on her in an ice storm. The roof rack absorbed the worst of the impact which is why it had to go. Believe it or not, this looks much worse in this pic then it does in person:

Okay, now that the "before" pics are out of the way, on to the work.

Before I could even think about +ting her there were other pressing matters. First was a charging problem. She ran but would kill a a fully charged battery in a week.

The seller blamed this on a bad Alternator but upon testing it seemed okay. I replaced it anyway - thrice in fact. Once with a junkyard pull and once with a remanufactured 60A from the local parts store. When neither of these solved the problem I upgraded to a 100A from a 940, that helped but still nogo. With help from that other forum I was able to trace the whole thing down to a bad ground cable from the alt to the block.
12-28-2011 07:02 PM
Redwoodchair Offline

You should be able to slip the headliner back and chase those dents out of the roof with blocks of wood and a hammer so it's just a little bit wavy.

All Hat No Cattle.

12-28-2011 07:11 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(12-28-2011 06:59 PM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for posting your wagon's build thread.
I'll be watching it and making comments, don't worry!

Thanks Redwood! Glad to be here!

Okay, back to the story.

(BTW those of you who've seen my thread on the other forum, this may be out of chronological order as I'm trying to do this by memory since i can't get the other forum to load)

Next up was a crapload of rust in the floorpans that, admittedly I didn't notice when I bought it (and when you see the pics that's going to make me look like I must be blind, but in my defense it was night and there was a metric ton of snow on the ground so I didn't take a very close look under the car like I should have):

Bodywork has never been my thing so it took me several months to work up the courage to attempt a repair of this magnitude however I finally ended up with:

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 09:29 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 07:13 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(12-28-2011 07:11 PM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  You should be able to slip the headliner back and chase those dents out of the roof with blocks of wood and a hammer so it's just a little bit wavy.

Its on the list, but like I said bodywork is not my thing. In fact its one of those things that makes me nervous so honestly, I've been avoiding it... Blush

As is typical for this era of Volvos as I understand it the odometer didn't work. Since I had to disassembled the cluster to replace the bad gear (in fact, it turned out both gears were bad in my cluster) I decided to go ahead and install some Dave Barton goodies:

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2011 07:31 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 07:25 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Then there was the rotten tailgate wiring. The plate light and high mount stop light didn't work at all and the wiper was intermittent at best. Replaced the driver's side in these pics (the passenger side was done just a week ago, in fact) With my boys' help, this wasn't too bad:

Next up was the tires. The tires she had when I purchased her were so rotted that the ride was rough, the steering was wild and honestly, I feared a blowout at any second. Rather then put new tires on the factory 14 inchers I decided I wanted to go ahead and upgrade to some 16 or 17 inch wheels. Gabe hooked me up with some Volvo Sculptors that were originally from an S40 (I think... I'm sure Gabe will correct me if I got that wrong) and since these were originally meant for FWD Redwood helped me out with figuring out what spacers I needed. I then painted the calipers with some BBQ paint I had in the garage and threw 'em on.

Here she is sitting on Sculptors with Kumho Ecsta AST 215/45R17s:

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 07:40 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 07:34 PM
OKflyboy Offline

With it riding better it was time to tackle the interior a bit. I wanted turbo gauges but I couldn't find a set for a price I was willing to pay, so I settled for aftermarket gauges in a factory turbo cluster:

Since the radio was occupying the gauge real estate it was time to move the radio. But as cool and retro as the Kenwood cassette player that was in it was, it didn't work, so it had to go. I managed to score a very nice Clarion to put in its place along with some Pyle 4" speakers (I know, I know, but they sound surprisingly good):

And, though its definitely out of chronological order, since we're talking stereo and interior, I just installed this bad boy last week. Originally intended to use this box with an old Jensen 10" I had left after removing from another car I sold several years ago. However I blew right through it and its twin as soon as I wired them up. In my search through my garage for something else to use I stumbled upon some old home-audio speakers I hadn't used since the 90's and they still had the Radio Shack drivers I had installed in them - popped one of them out and threw it in and Dang! I forgot how well those old Rad-shack speakers actually thumped.

So, I had $35 in the box and waffle grill, the driver and 75Wx2 (bridged to 150W) Kenwood amp I already had. So for $35 I've got a thumpin' little sub. Old milk crates to the rescue to organize my stuff. School books and backpack on the left, oil, antifreeze etc on the right, the crates and sub happened to fit perfectly, though, admittedly I didn't plan it that way - was just a happy accident:

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2012 03:07 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 07:54 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Then it was time to do something about the faded and cracked leather on the front seats. First I dyed them with Kiwi Leather Dye, and then treated them with some Lexol:

Then it was on to the cause of the rusted floor - the windshield. I had a newer style trimless windshield installed by Safelite:

Then took her to get the windows tinted:

12-28-2011 08:04 PM
OKflyboy Offline

By this time it was summer and it was HOT!

The A/C, while present, did not work. At first we tried retrofitting to R134. This worked... kinda. But it was only mildly cool while going down the highway at 65mph, at in town speeds it was ineffective and at idle it was nonexistent.

To help fight this I tried adding a pusher fan on the front of the condenser wired through a relay to come on whenever the compressor kicked on:

This helped but it was still just... meh.

Next we removed the R134 and tried an R12 alternative and this was the result (granted, this was at 65mph, but the in-town results improved dramatically as well):

And somewhere in there I managed to score a center arm rest at the local boneyard for a whoppin' $4!

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2011 09:41 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 08:18 PM
OKflyboy Offline

As far as mechanical mods in this time frame, well not a lot had been done. I gave it a tune up very early one consisting of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil and filter change and a cone filter:

The factory heater control valve was stuck open so I installed a ball valve at the heater hose to shut off the hot water to the heater core so I didn't burn up in the summer:

I cut the muffler off at the axle to help flow and to change the sound:

Of course, the mounts for the muffler support the exhaust pipe back there, so I added a new mount and then a turn down to make it look a bit better

12-28-2011 08:40 PM
OKflyboy Offline

It was about this time that she was dubbed голубой вагон The Blue Wagon by my wife. Its from a cartoon she grew up with:

(note - the subtitles in that video are close but not quite right)

And this sticker is the chorus from the song they're singing:

"Blue Wagon is rolling on and on"
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 09:03 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 09:00 PM
OKflyboy Offline

And the final few mods to bring us up to the present -

Two coils cut off the front springs:

Side markers from a Saab 9000:

And some Dave Barton prancing moose stickers:

Of note is the Grant wheel pictured has since been returned because no one can get the danged install kit. I tried several places (including my own employer) before settling on Jegs on 12/8 since they listed it as in stock. Well they called a couple of days later and told me they were back ordered and the shipping estimate was 12/21. When nothing showed up I wrote them for an update. Now they're saying Grant themselves are out of the install kit I need, and the new shipping estimate (and they stressed that they ain't making any promises this time) is 1/19!

So I returned the wheel and decided to use the money to keep collecting +t parts for now. When my install kit finally shows up I'll buy the wheel back again.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 09:36 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 09:13 PM
Redwoodchair Offline

(12-28-2011 07:11 PM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  You should be able to slip the headliner back and chase those dents out of the roof with blocks of wood and a hammer so it's just a little bit wavy.

(12-28-2011 07:25 PM)OKflyboy Wrote:  Its on the list, but like I said bodywork is not my thing. In fact its one of those things that makes me nervous so honestly, I've been avoiding it... Blush

You don't have to take it too far, beating the rust is all you need to do.
It should pop back up without too much if any additional paint loss.
An artist's sable brush and some primer carefully painted in the 'lake' where you wire wheel the exposed steel, and then some blue paint that is close will make it passable.
Pro tip;
Thin with a bit of lacquer thinner so it flows out smooth.

All Hat No Cattle.

12-28-2011 09:13 PM
OKflyboy Offline

So that brings us to where she stands now.

I am currently collecting the remaining parts for the +t and hope to get started (finally!) in a few more weeks.

Here's a nice hero shot for the heck of it:

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2011 09:19 PM by OKflyboy.)
12-28-2011 09:15 PM
Redwoodchair Offline

I love the sining Croc BTW.

All Hat No Cattle.

12-28-2011 09:18 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(12-28-2011 09:13 PM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  

(12-28-2011 07:25 PM)OKflyboy Wrote:  Its on the list, but like I said bodywork is not my thing. In fact its one of those things that makes me nervous so honestly, I've been avoiding it... Blush

You don't have to take it too far, beating the rust is all you need to do.
It should pop back up without too much if any additional paint loss.
An artist's sable brush and some primer carefully painted in the 'lake' where you wire wheel the exposed steel, and then some blue paint that is close will make it passable.
Pro tip;
Thin with a bit of lacquer thinner so it flows out smooth.

Thanks for the tip. I know I will have to do something about it, but I'd like to get the turbo on her first. I will definitely take your tips to heart when the time comes.

(12-28-2011 09:18 PM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  I love the sining Croc BTW.

Thanks. I thought it was cute too!
12-28-2011 09:24 PM
blu92in99 Away
Posting Freak

RE: голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
Damn, from zero to hero in short order. Well done! Can't wait to see the +T results.
12-29-2011 06:49 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(12-29-2011 06:49 PM)blu92in99 Wrote:  Damn, from zero to hero in short order. Well done! Can't wait to see the +T results.

Thanks man! I'm excited to see the +t results myself! Hopefully very soon. Gabe and I are ironing out the final details now and hopefully should be starting in a couple of weeks.
12-29-2011 07:50 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Lovin' the wheels.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
12-30-2011 09:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKflyboy Offline

(12-30-2011 09:12 PM)scottyd Wrote:  Lovin' the wheels.

Thanks. Me too, I think they fit the car perfectly.
12-30-2011 10:17 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

Excellent rescue and recovery, nice job. cheers

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
01-01-2012 01:07 AM
OKflyboy Offline

(01-01-2012 01:07 AM)Shifted Wrote:  Excellent rescue and recovery, nice job. cheers

Thanks!

More done tonight after work.

960 e-fan and shroud. Did not remember to get the relay (doh!) so there's a trip to LKQ in my immediate future (read - tomorrow):

Rearranged my switches so that I could shut off my sub at will (I listen to talk radio, and booming bass on voices is just plain annoying). Also I want room to add more switches as needed. For example, I'm pretty sure I'll want to add a an override for the high speed on the e-fan, and a switch for fog/driving lights later:

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2012 08:43 PM by OKflyboy.)
01-01-2012 08:42 PM
thebornotaku Offline

you did your exhaust a lot like mine, except i cut off the last bend and put a 18" bit of straight pipe there so it still exits out the back.

looks good though man. keep it up.

1985 Volvo 245DL "The Battlewagon"
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle "Diego"
01-01-2012 08:54 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline
bourbon the other foodgroup

(12-29-2011 06:49 PM)blu92in99 Wrote:  Damn, from zero to hero in short order. Well done! Can't wait to see the +T results.

this! some quality work there, nice save
01-02-2012 11:08 AM