голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
OKflyboy Offline

RE: голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
(03-26-2012 10:02 PM)arnoroth661 Wrote:  Good work!

Thanks!

(03-26-2012 10:02 PM)arnoroth661 Wrote:  My belly pan's better. Tongue

True, but mine was much cheaper. Smile

The VW Oil temperature gauge gets a new face, as I decided I will be using it as a water temperature gauge:

And the new valve cover finally comes home:

Now for the bad news. She started bucking on my way home last night. Its acting like it did the last time I had fuel pump problems. This is my second Airtex fuel pump in less then a year. I'll probably just have to get a Bosch this time but dang, they're expensive.
04-01-2012 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Maybe get a used bosch?

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
04-02-2012 12:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKflyboy Offline

(04-02-2012 12:51 PM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  Maybe get a used bosch?

Yeah, perhaps. For now she's getting another Airtex, since its under warranty and I don't have the cash at the moment.
04-02-2012 08:17 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Turns out it wasn't the fuel pump after all. Believe it or not it was just low on transmission fluid, which caused the transmission to slip massively, and the engine to generally run like crap.

Today I had the day off, and lucky me both my MOMO adapter and my VDO temp sensor arrived, so I got a bit more done.

First I installed the new VDO sensor. I used the block coolant drain plug location to install it, this is where my O'Rielly's mechanical gauge sender has been for almost a year now and its worked just fine:

Then I removed the O'Rielly's gauge and installed the VDO gauge in its place:

Next was a two speed cooling fan switch (still only one speed wired up, but will be wiring up the high speed soon):

And lastly I installed my Grant wheel with a MOMO hub and a Grant Wheel to MOMO hub adapter:

The horn doesn't work, so I must have done something wrong in the installation, but neither the Grant wheel nor the MOMO hub came with any instructions. The Grant wheel to MOMO hub adapter had instructions, but only for mounting, for horn it said to refer to the wheel's instructions.
04-04-2012 07:06 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(04-04-2012 07:06 PM)OKflyboy Wrote:  The horn doesn't work, so I must have done something wrong in the installation, but neither the Grant wheel nor the MOMO hub came with any instructions. The Grant wheel to MOMO hub adapter had instructions, but only for mounting, for horn it said to refer to the wheel's instructions.

Facepalm The horn works just fine. Even after a year, I'm still used to American cars where the key does not have to be on to use the horn.
04-04-2012 08:24 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(04-04-2012 07:06 PM)OKflyboy Wrote:  Turns out it wasn't the fuel pump after all. Believe it or not it was just low on transmission fluid, which caused the transmission to slip massively, and the engine to generally run like crap.

Crap. Well it wasn't the transmission fluid either. I don't know what it is... The problem is its so danged intermittent that every time I check something it seems to run better for a bit afterward so I think "I guess that was it" until several hours / days later then it does it again!

Tomorrow I will pull off the cat, clean the MAF, and change the fuel filter and see if any of those help...
04-05-2012 10:57 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Okay, its gotten worse so I went a little more in depth. I hooked up an AEM wideband today and here's what she's doing:

At startup the wideband sits on 14.6-15.0 for about four or five seconds then pegs the meter rich and stays there, so rich that it renders the car damn near un-driveable. I can disconnect the O2 output from the AEM to the car and she will limp home. Still pegs rich on the gauge but I'm at least able to kind-of drive it. I've tried adjusting the screw on the AMM, that evens out the idle but makes NO difference on the drivability of the car nor the overall A/F ratios displayed.
04-07-2012 11:59 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

What AFRs are you getting?

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
04-09-2012 12:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKflyboy Offline

At startup its right around 14.7 for about five seconds, then climbs up to 16, 17, then pegs the meter.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 02:46 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-09-2012 08:08 AM
OKflyboy Offline

Swapped out the FPR, AMM/MAF, CTS and even the ignition coil for good measure, all had little effect. I think you guys might be right and this is just a consequence of running NA on Turbo computers and injectors. I think at this point we're just going to proceed with the +t and hope it sorts itself out once there's boost to lean it out.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 07:08 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-09-2012 02:48 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

do you have a bad injector or 2? Are they all clicking? If you put your foot on gas a bit does it come back to normal?

04-09-2012 02:52 PM
OKflyboy Offline

It idles just fine. If I put my foot on the gas in neutral at idle it'll rev like a Ferrari all day long, if I do the same in gear from a standstill sometimes it runs like normal with a slow but steady acceleration, but most of the time now (was only sometimes when this started) it falls on its face and won't come back unless I back off the throttle, wait a few seconds then ease the throttle back in but even after easing the throttle back it'll have less power then it did a few weeks ago. Needless to say, backing off and coaxing it back is annoying but acceptable when I'm in my driveway, but downright dangerous when I'm in traffic.
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 03:02 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-09-2012 02:58 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Knock sensor?

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
04-09-2012 05:18 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Could be but dang I hope not, new ones are danged expensive, and the lone 740 at LKQ is gone so I can't even get a used one right now. Is there a way to check a knock sensor without replacing it?
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 05:33 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-09-2012 05:32 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

I still say you either ignore the issue for now and proceed on to the +T or put back the N/A EZK and injectors. I think you're trying to chase too many things right now.

Alden does have a good point about your injectors though. How'd they look going in? What color top are they? Orange?

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
04-09-2012 06:08 PM
OKflyboy Offline

If it had happened at the get go I wouldn't have even thought twice about it just being the computers, but the fact that it ran okay like this for almost two weeks and then decided it wanted to run pig rich has got me stymied. But i think you're right, I think I just need to keep going with the +t and see what happens.

For posterity I took a quick video of the stumble and will upload it as soon as it finishes processing. Sadly the loud exhaust drowns out my narrative, but you can get the idea based on the engine noise.
04-09-2012 07:12 PM
OKflyboy Offline

04-09-2012 07:26 PM
OKflyboy Offline

From 2:00-2:10 I've got the pedal to the metal and that's the best she'll do.
04-09-2012 07:32 PM
thebornotaku Offline

Seriously looks like what my car was doing but yours isn't Chrysler so you can rule chrysler out.

I vote reverting to yellowtops + n/a ezk box until it's actually turbo. it seems like your AFRs are dumb rich. Also try cleaning out the AMM and maybe look up what the procedures for checking ECT operation are.

1985 Volvo 245DL "The Battlewagon"
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle "Diego"
04-10-2012 04:35 AM
OKflyboy Offline

(04-10-2012 04:35 AM)thebornotaku Wrote:  Seriously looks like what my car was doing but yours isn't Chrysler so you can rule chrysler out.

I vote reverting to yellowtops + n/a ezk box until it's actually turbo. it seems like your AFRs are dumb rich.

Yup. Seems to be the culprit. I just finished putting the NA injectors and Computer (don't have an NA EZK box, so I'll have to run it with a mismatch on that front) back in and took her around the block, she seems to be running better. I know I've said that before, however, so I'll keep you guys posted on how she does on my trip to school and back tonight.
04-10-2012 04:48 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Ran great all the way to school. Icon_scratch Still don't understand why it ran okay with the Turbo computer and injectors for almost two weeks before deciding to wash the cylinders with gas all the time but, whatevs, as long as its working okay for now. So... On with the +t!
04-10-2012 06:20 PM
dl242gt Offline
Plays The Blues

The engine coolant temp sensor overrides all other mixture references. So, more than likely you have an open sensor or wiring issue going to the sensor. That is at least a good place to start. I've had these sensors go bad as they heat up to normal operation. My main example is the sensor that would open up after the engine got up to operating temp. The thing measured good when cold or warm. Then when the engine was fully warmed up the sensor would promptly go infinite ohms and caused the engine to think it was super cold. It was so rich it was blowing black smoke.

Wish you well with the turbo install. It's well worth it. The power is nice and you still have an economical car to drive.

1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+.True Track diff. Flat hood, 1979 front grill, 2 screw Hella Ecode park/turn lights with H4 Hella headlights. 321k miles.

1993 Classic Edition wagon 5spd 341k miles.
04-10-2012 06:54 PM
The Spirit Of Rolling Offline

Good to know about the ECT, I am convinced mine is bad but I have yet to test to confirm.
04-11-2012 11:58 AM
OKflyboy Offline

<sigh> Man we are SO CLOSE to +t I can taste it! I'm pretty sure I have all the oil feed/cooler lines and fittings I need and now I'm just lacking the downpipe.

But... the wife's laptop is effing up, the battery won't hold a charge and the keyboard's all jacked up (she swears she didn't spill anything in it, but it sure acts like it). Anyway, she uses this laptop for work everyday so its going to have to be the priority. $20 for a new keyboard and $30 for a battery plus I've got to find the time to actually replace the keyboard. Seems so silly to be stressing over the $40 or so I'd need for a DP now when I was dropping hundreds on this thing last month but, alas, the tax return is all gone and we're back to being on a pretty strict budget. I was hoping to have the +t finished before that happened but it just didn't work out that way.

Anyway, I'll continue to update this thread as progress is made, but it just won't be this week or next anymore...
04-17-2012 09:23 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Ahh. Spring semester is over, and summer semester doesn't start for another couple of weeks. Hopefully there will be a +t happening somewhere in the middle.

Tonight I finished pulling the 15g from the yellow. The turbo fought back but in the end I was victorious:

Also, Redwood hooked me up with a 740 downpipe, already cut down into the sections needed. Its at a friend's house being welded back together (along with an additional bung for a wideband o2).

After the turbo was removed, I spent the rest of the evening buttoning up some oil leaks I had developed. I was losing oil from the oil pressure sender I had installed. I'm still losing a bit from my rear cam seal though. I have a new seal but I didn't do it tonight for lack of a new valve cover gasket.

Next up will be to install the new rear cam seal, clock the 15g for RWD then its +t time!
05-10-2012 11:44 PM