голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
OKflyboy Offline

RE: голубой вагон (Blue Wagon) 1986 245GL
FML. Loaner torque wrench from Autozone - also bad...

Well, that's enough bad news for one night, I give up...
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2012 11:53 PM by OKflyboy.)
09-27-2012 11:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Ugh hate nights like that

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
09-28-2012 12:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKflyboy Offline

[Monty Python] Well, it got better... [/Monty Python]

Woo! Blue Wagon rides again!

Okay, not exactly totally drivable again, but close.

Got her all reassembled last night and she wouldn't start. My head was pounding so I called it a night. Took a fresh look this evening and I was two teeth off on my distributor timing. Re-stabbed the distributor and she fired right up.

First impressions after the "new" head and new head gasket - It runs better, but it's still not as powerful as it was pre-broken timing belt. I suspect my rings on cylinder four are toast, and I suspect I did it back before I had diagnosed the bad belt. I turned it over, I dunno, maybe 100 times over the course of those three weeks, all without the oil pump pumping (unbeknownst to me at the time, of course). I think this might have been the cause of most of the oil built up in #4 (as seen in the previous pics). At any rate, she's running, and that'll have to be good enough for now, as I cannot afford anymore down time.

As for the transmission - I dropped the pan and replaced the screen. This is my first ever transmission filter change, on any car (well, I've had them done before, but this is the fist I've ever done myself) so I have no frame of reference, but I believe the screen to have been extremely clogged - It looked quite nasty, and when removed an additional pint of fluid was released (whereas one would think that a non-clogged filter would have easily already passed that fluid). It seems to shift just fine, now though I thought that after the flush, as well. It wasn't until a day or so later after the flush that things went pear shaped again, so time will tell...

And lastly I have a pretty rapid leak on the passenger side that I believe to be coming from my newly "improved" turbo oil drain. Obviously it was too damn hot immediately after the test-drive to investigate fully (not to mention too dark) but I will have to figure that one out before I can feel safe driving her any sort of distance, but still, SHE LIVES!
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 10:56 PM by OKflyboy.)
10-01-2012 10:37 PM
OKflyboy Offline

All reassembled:

New exhaust just chillin' (did I mention how much I suck at welding?):

And my baby's back (She's filthy, but she's back...)

10-02-2012 05:03 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Okay, November update.

Oil leak mentioned above was not from the oil drain but rather from the remote filter kit. One of the hoses had a hole rubbed in it. Eventually I will replace the rubber line with braided steel but for now I just removed it entirely and put the filter back to the stock location.

Still unsure what caused the oil buildup in cylinder #4 but I no longer suspect rings. A compression test showed great compression on all 4 cylinders after the head gasket change.

I did find what was causing it to run rough though. The injector connectors had come apart slightly on injectors 3&4 so those injectors were firing intermittently.

And finally I had an intermittent miss that was driving me nuts. Every once in a while, usually under hard acceleration, but not always, the car would just quit for a split second. Watching the wideband I'd see the AFR go extreme lean every time this happened. Well I started by putting a Walbro in the tank, but left the external pump attached. This seemed to improve things but didn't eliminate it entirely. Last night I removed the external pump entirely and now it runs like a top. Woo!

No pics today, not much really to take pictures of, right now. I will be re-running the accell wires in the next few weeks and cleaning things up under the hood and will likely take a few more pics and/or vids after that's done.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 02:16 PM by OKflyboy.)
11-19-2012 01:54 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Yeah, the car's dirty but I had to take a shot of my Christmas present from my Father in Law in Russia:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-09-2013 01:34 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Way cool!

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
01-09-2013 01:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKflyboy Offline

And then this happened:

Its not perfect, the driver's side tip sticks out about 1/2 further the the passenger but oh well...

Its a Dynomax 3" Camaro-style 1-in 2-out muffler. I ran 2 1/2" pipe all the way from the downpipe with two (yes two) glasspacks as resonators to quite it down (it droned something fierce the first time I ran it without the glasspacks) then expanded up to 3" right at the muffler.

Why a 3" muffler when I ran 2 1/2"? Well when I bought it last year I intended to run a 3" exhaust but later changed my mind.
04-07-2013 11:40 PM
OKflyboy Offline

One problem with running an open-downpipe is you don't hear, well, much of anything really, but you certainly can't hear exhuast leaks... So it wasn't until I had finished the dual exhaust I was building that I noticed the *massive* exhaust leak coming from under the hood. I feared the crack in the manifold (right where they all crack) had enlarged and was not looking forward to trying to either weld my manifold or find an uncracked one. However Gabe figured it was just a blown out gasket and suggested I try checking them.

Boy am I glad to be proven wrong!

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 05:24 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-11-2013 12:33 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Something I didn't notice until Gabe pointed it out in the pic - the gasket is installed upside down. Whoops.

Remember me saying it just didn't seem as fast after the head gasket change?

Well OMG its fast now!

I must have blown that gasket out damn near right after changing the HG and just never knew it because I was running open DP or just the single glasspack and couldn't hear the leak...
04-11-2013 01:22 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Definitely not a sleeper anymore.

And yes, the reverse light lens is missing from the passenger side. Ordered a new one from IPD but has been on backorder for closing in on a month.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2013 05:27 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-11-2013 05:23 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

I like it

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
04-11-2013 05:41 PM
OKflyboy Offline

Wow, long time since I posted in this thread.

Let's see - My dual exhaust is gone - my welding sucked and it was nothing but problems. I've since replaced it with an IPD sport exhaust.

I've broken two exhaust studs on my head. Heads at the local wrecking yard are only $50 so I think I'll likely just swap out the had rather than try to drill and helicoil a new stud.

It's time for tires but those Skulptors are bent as hell so I'm thinking of going to factory steelies.

That brings me to a question. I really like the look of these wheels/tires, any idea what size they are?

[Image: 2011-01-31_14-45-13_604.jpg]
06-17-2015 07:22 PM
Mob Barley Offline
Masta Ran

Late 240 steelies @ 14x5.5x20et with 81-85 wheel trim.

Best to run 195-70-14's [stick] or 195-75-14's [auto] on a wagon.

The Lion Of Zion
07-02-2015 02:24 PM
OKflyboy Offline

(07-02-2015 02:24 PM)Mob Barley Wrote:  Late 240 steelies @ 14x5.5x20et with 81-85 wheel trim.

Best to run 195-70-14's [stick] or 195-75-14's [auto] on a wagon.

Sweet, thanks!
07-02-2015 02:39 PM
OKflyboy Offline

So I'm going to be giving my Blue Wagon to my son for his High School graduation next month. As stated in the thread currently the Wagon had a 15G w/ boost controller set at about 15lbs boost. It has a couple of broken exhaust studs though, so the head needs to come off anyway before I'm ready to give it to him.

While its off I plan on detuning it a bit, pulling the boost controller for certain, and I would also like to sway the 15G for a 13C.

So, anyone have a decent 13C they're looking to get rid of cheap?
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2016 06:39 PM by OKflyboy.)
04-23-2016 06:39 PM
OKflyboy Offline

lol.

Gave this to my son under the agreement that he would fix it before i signed the title over to him.

At the time I gave it to him it needed:

- Head swap to fix broken studs. (I bought a junkyard head, cleaned it up and put all new studs in it. All he needed to do was swap the head over)
- New tires

He immediately asked me if he could sell it. I said no. He then asked if he could trade it. I said no. He then moved out. Then took the wagon to a friend's house so they could fix it. Fast forward to a few months ago. He said there was too much wrong with it and if I would not let him sell or trade it he'd rather just give it back.

When I received it back I noticed that he and his friends

- did not swap the head
- did not put new tires on it
- DID reclock the 15G back to the FWD configuration for some reason
- totally f***ed the turbo piping, oil feed and oil drain trying to make the turbo fit in FWD configuration

So now I have a broken 240 back in my yard, in worse shape than it was when I gave it away. I had not fixed it myself because my work keeps me traveling and I don't have the time when I'm home. I still do not really but I'm going to try to fix it enough to drive it a bit I think.
01-28-2017 04:19 PM