Building a MS harness
volvogeek Offline
Wagon Whore

Building a MS harness
I REALLY want to MS my car. I don't care if I do it before or after turboing, but since it's my DD it can't be down for more than a day. So I was thinking maybe I could build a harness for it, and just lay it in place once I got the time to actually install.

The problem with building one out of car is that you really have no idea about the lengths of the wires needed to do things. If you've MS'ed your car, how have you done the harness? Some kind of Plug N Play adapter between the factory harness and the MS box? (I have something that might work for that) Pull the factory harness, lay out the MS harness next to it and make things more or less the same? Extra wire after adding the plugs? Or just bite the bullet, pull the old harness, lay in the new and wire it up in-place?

[ Richard Langis ] [ Yeti | Betty | MooMoo ]
[Image: 6818504367_35ecb7f0e7_o.jpg]
02-18-2012 12:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badvlvo Offline
Always Because Racecar

RE: Building a MS harness
Bite the real bullet, but a harness.way easier, faster and more likely to work right.

I know the meaning of life.
02-18-2012 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JohnMc Offline

Being down a short amount of time really steers you toward a plug-n-play style adapter. Even if you know exactly what you're doing, and are good at stripping, cutting, soldering, organizing, bundling, etc wires, it will take a while to re-wire the whole engine. And if your factory wires are in good shape, might as well keep on using them.

PnP harness lets you do a lot of the work ahead of time, then when you get down to it, a quick switchover, and you can spend most of that day getting it to run better.

Later on if you want to get fancier with your MS'ing, you can build a whole new harness.

'93 245 Classic - 16VT - MS3X - Seq injection/COP - T5
'63 PV544 - DCOE's - M41 - rust - crappy paint - hoopty
02-18-2012 10:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Kenny makes a PnP harness for LH and MS. That'd be my recommendation.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
02-19-2012 01:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
volvogeek Offline
Wagon Whore

I made this for 2.2, though there are a couple of things missing that I'll have to re-research:
[Image: 4680859448_e704e7e90a_z.jpg]

It's supposed to go inside a stock ecu box and be all stealthy.

02-20-2012 03:51 AM
volvogeek Offline
Wagon Whore

Kenny, I know 2.4 is more capable but is it possible to make a (nearly) plug & play harness for 2.2 or would I be better served in just biting the bullet and making a MS harness?

edit: nevermind, looked through the 2.4 PNP harness sale thread on TB and found this:

linuxman51 Wrote:be easier (similar to my response to the lh 2.4 guy in the advanced engine management forum) to use the pertinent lh 2.2 parts and roll your own wiring harness vs the hassle of swapping all the volvo stuff in, making sure it all works, then taking it out and hooking the megasquirt up. You'd save time and ultimately headaches by just building a wiring harness from the get go(might save a bit of money too, depending on parts sources).hit me with a pm.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2012 08:56 AM by volvogeek.)
02-23-2012 08:50 AM