Brave Sir Robin
Coupe' de Tat Offline
bourbon the other foodgroup

RE: Brave Sir Robin
got some t-bolt clamps today. the silicone reducer at the compressor outlet is in rough shape, i'll have to get one. looks like i'll have to order more fasteners from ATP, can't find
11-02-2015 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coupe' de Tat Offline

reducer ordered doesn't fit, WTF is with the odd size?

atp hardware envelope due to arrive today, some things are finally beginning to fall into place. die grinder is at the ready
11-06-2015 09:17 AM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

test fit

[Image: hosed10.jpg]
12-17-2015 08:13 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

passenger side headlight de-mist-ified
[Image: lights10.jpg]
02-22-2016 03:45 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

5lb of shit, it all barely fits in there. just like the first go round...
[Image: 4lbbag10.jpg]
02-22-2016 03:50 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

Lookin' almost legit... Wink ETA to Liftoff yet?

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
02-23-2016 12:58 AM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

i'm hoping the rest of the gaskets get here by the end of the week and i can get it passed on Monday. i am also now inside the six-month 'loophole' for the next registration cycle so i won't have to get it certified when my next piece of shit STOP your car must be SMOQQED at the DEATHSTAR notice from the gestapo comes in the mail. there aren't many people that i hate on, but when it comes to hypocrites that make policies that shackle and rob the public yet leave energy companies off the hook to megapollute without consequence for profit at every level including the clean-up and penalties? i am left with perfectly clean conscience on my harsh feelings toward them and the minuscule impact my own actions are having.

edit: yes i am going to conceal the adj timing gear with a non-carpetfibur uncircumcised timing belt cover, one of several i have stockpiled. good thing they can't clown me on missing airbox clips or brackets because that shit is going to get a flying lesson sooner than it thinks... after a few passes at the track in 'certifiable' trim i'm thinking those blue tops i have stashed might have to find their way in there along with the rest of those naughty bits on the sideline.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 12:55 PM by Coupe' de Tat.)
02-23-2016 11:24 AM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

Honestly Coupe, with a decent chipset you can swap those injectors in now. My last 5 smogs have been with my #65 Deka's in there, passed easily, even with the IPD cam at 1* advanced. Only issue I had was with my weak, tired cheapo aftermarket cat.

Sorry about the clips on that airbox. Stupid design, never seem to find them with all the clips, regardless of platform Given mine will live with the airbox I fixed it up, but if you can chuck it, chuck it onto the shelf for a couple years...

74 144E, http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745T, GT2871R @ 18psi on E85, MS2V3, bunch of other goodies. 13.50 @ 100.71, traction-limited.
If you need Superpro bushings for ANY vehicle, PM me for price and availability!
02-23-2016 03:13 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

because LH2.2... that's why. i am strongly considering "other" solutions but i am working with what i have for now. no worries on the airbox for sure, it's exactly what i need to pass and if they whine i can put one screw through the other corner of the lid and tell them to piss off.

and yeah i have to keep all this stuff for the next couple revs around the sun. i am somewhat regretting not paying off the local extortionist and letting the car 'be', i'd be having so much more fun and making passes at the drag strip right now buuuuuut noooooo, i had to try to do it "the right way" being who i am. the legislative nightmare is having the intended effect of frustrationm but i am determined not to let them win that way.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016 03:28 PM by Coupe' de Tat.)
02-23-2016 03:26 PM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

I'm right there with ya though. Smogified, will pass most visuals by the time I'm done, still has the gofast bits though, still rips at the strip.

74 144E, http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745T, GT2871R @ 18psi on E85, MS2V3, bunch of other goodies. 13.50 @ 100.71, traction-limited.
If you need Superpro bushings for ANY vehicle, PM me for price and availability!
02-23-2016 11:30 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

made my own CBV gasket using sharpened tubing scraps as punches. clean finish and perfect fit.

in the meantime kenny has removed repaired and reinstalled a trans in an afternoon, and repaired his timing addled 16v without borking any valves. and while i napped Deiselboy has put together another whole rallycar... we sleep he builds™
02-24-2016 05:32 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

as of this morning i am still waiting on the exh manifold gaskets and to attach downpipe and whatnot, but most all of this is tightened up and ready to rock. i hope they don't decide to clown me on the shiny fuel lines, my current tech is pretty sensible though. Fingerscrossed2

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-27-2016 02:34 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

dang, the water pump is leaking at the heater tube, good thing the exhaust manifold isn't all bolted up solid because i might have to dig in there. i have verified i didn't fuck up and have the manifold resting on the heater tube or anything like that, it's fighting me in retribution for this retrograde i swear.

edit: IIRC wenstromma pre-warned me about the condition of the water pump end of this heater tube. i have another here that i am prepping up for install, de-rusting and painting it today. i am internally debating install of the watercooling for this T3, pending location of the other half of the parts to do so.

in a related semi-cool story, exhaust manifold gaskets are now within 5 miles of the house trapped inside of a USPS facility.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2016 02:42 PM by Coupe' de Tat.)
02-28-2016 01:34 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

also trying to rig up the cruise control properly. only needs a length of hose to the diaphragm, tee is still in place. i think...
02-28-2016 03:49 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

dang. a full day of chasing the paper dragon only to fail out rich and not by too much. especially with a brand new cat on the stock downpipe, i thought as long as i used the same injectors AMM and o2 sensor i'd be good in the hood, but no. i'd set the timing to split the marks at ~12.5btdc and the idle at 750. i'll start by checking the dwell on the o2 sensor and hook up the diagnostic near the AMM and calibrate and/or swap that if need be.

pending edit for some pics of car, under the hood, and test result. "yay".

car with flashy headlight covers. oooooo
[Image: covers10.jpg]

close but no cigar.
[Image: flail10.jpg]

under the hood. passed visual but just barely, he really scoured it with the mirror. it ran funny right after the visual and i pointed out the #4 plug lead was knocked off the plug; i gave him sort of a 'free pass' on that after his claim that he 'did not touch it'; by mentioning that others and myself were working on the area both on the exhaust and the distributor. the air box and plumbing were all hot to the touch when i got home so that t-stat airbox is going to get a bigtiem lesson on how to be cool under pressure.
[Image: visual10.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 09:53 PM by Coupe' de Tat.)
03-01-2016 09:04 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

Close then... you said earlier the boost gauge had not much action... vacuum leak somewhere?

Ahh ok just saw your poast in the 5... hmm.

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2016 10:21 PM by Shifted.)
03-01-2016 10:19 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

all plumbing will be checked and re-checked. i am rigging up a pressure testing adapter for the inlet at the turbo, i have needed to make one of those for some time.

i can connect the test LED harness i made, and i have a dwell meter. my driveway might be sadly lacking the convenient gas analyzer, but i know that i can use what few real tools i have here on hand to compare readings after swapping various spare AMM, o2 sensors, or even some 'light green' later model year injectors.

he measured timing manually and read it as "10BTDC" so i have some wiggle room to move that in the advance direction and also i wonder if there is some known benefit to making adjustments to the "ahem IPD" cam relative to the distributor and crank timing for improvements in that low range operation.

it appears yesterday was about finding major issues and making the gross adjustments, now it looks like it's down to the art of deductive troubleshooting and fine tuning.

EDIT: ooof!!! one loose hose clamp found so far, at cold side IC pipe end closest to throttle body. not super loose and the "double 90" hose still looked on there and square, but could make some difference. i wish i'd measured the dwell with a meter before and after tightening it... sigh. there was no audible leaking sound from that area but we all know how that works when it gets down to finding these types of little things and they can foul the whole air measuring game up rather quickly. when i "fix" the TAC i am going to swap in a paper filter instead of the K&N also. /morningvoodoodance
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2016 12:20 PM by Coupe' de Tat.)
03-02-2016 11:01 AM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

voodoo dance worked, car is licensed and on the road. it tested lean this time and had high but not over the limit NOx on the low speed test, i'm thinking cat not lit but it is a new one so i expected that to be lower.

there's zero smoke, and the smoky Holswt is rebuilt and sitting on the shelf waiting for its day, T3 running direct off the actuator. nightride / mileage check afterward pending.

most everything works, but still no 'love' from the cruise control yet. the boost gauge turned out to be a fully rotted out section of hose, new single section pulled through and connected to manifold.
03-05-2016 10:42 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

"my moped runs on cranberrry juice" poast

this car again stuck in the driveway, brought in on the hook after stalling on the road. string of expletives and backstory can be found in the eurochat

troubleshooting done so far: it fires on starter fluid and the fuel rail is wet with pressure at the schrader. relays and ECU swapped to no net effect.
02-02-2018 03:27 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline

quarterly driveway slumber report rates 2/4 ZZZZ's; van is next to it in the driveway with a drain on the battery. at least the truck runs! chicken is stashed up on the hill, going to go visit it later for a drive-n-fill. the chicken is still in need of stomach surgery, with a bad case of indigestion below half full caused by a faulty lift pump hose.

i have not dug into BSR's fuel delivery problem yet. local competent assistance is thin these days...
05-10-2018 10:07 AM