Head unit, suggest one for me.
Ursan Offline
WAT?

Head unit, suggest one for me.
I've had a Blaupunkt MP3000 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sHdiYgLKgso...P3000.html for years.

It's gotten to the point that it barely plays MP3 CDs or tunes in anything but VERY local FM stations.

My budget is UP to $150.00.

I'm looking at the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT http://www.crutchfield.com/p_023TO410BT/...ml?tp=5684

Any other suggestions with similar features?

Volvo Chaos Theory
It has been known that if two Volvos collide at any given time in this dimension then a random small car in a small Russian town will actually disintegrate and cause a rip in the fabric of space and time, this is the only known reason for athletics.
10-18-2012 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ursan Offline
WAT?

RE: Head unit, suggest one for me.
No one?

Volvo Chaos Theory
It has been known that if two Volvos collide at any given time in this dimension then a random small car in a small Russian town will actually disintegrate and cause a rip in the fabric of space and time, this is the only known reason for athletics.
10-19-2012 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood. Go to crutchfield and find what fits the car. Compare features.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
10-19-2012 06:26 PM
harribert Offline
Now with moar Honda.

I'm partial to Kenwood Exceleons. The Parrot one that runs on Android is nice too.

Harald

Uberhoopt; '91 244 -- GONE
Honda Fit (to be nicknamed) '11

Quote:Originally Posted by Inc3pt
You talk so much **** it's amazing
Carry on.

Quote:Originally Posted by Quin
when harald's telling you not to be a bitch, you know you're being a bitch
10-19-2012 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

I love my Alpine in the 140 but they quit making the v-drive powered units a few years back. The rest of the fleet has various ages of Pioneer's, been quite happy with them over the last decade. Find one you like the UI on and the sound output as well, that's more what it boils down to anymore.

74 144E, http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745T, GT2871R @ 18psi on E85, MS2V3, bunch of other goodies. 13.50 @ 100.71, traction-limited.
If you need Superpro bushings for ANY vehicle, PM me for price and availability!
10-19-2012 11:58 PM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

Anything wrong with Balupunkt? I'm looking @ the Toronto 420 BT.

Volvo Chaos Theory
10-22-2012 10:46 AM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

If you like them than buy another one.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
10-22-2012 02:41 PM
skunked Offline
in the garage

I'm pretty happy with a Kenwood I bought last year for the 911. Has a USB port in the front and HD radio.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113HD552U/K...0852511665

73 Volvo 142
10-22-2012 02:51 PM
blu92in99 Away
Posting Freak

Nothing wrong with Blaupunkt. The 'blue dot' has been an OE radio supplier for the Euro makes for decades. I've heard some great sounds processed through them...but I don't know anything of their current offerings and I'm partially biased towards Clarion or Alpine myself when it comes to the HU in my personal vehicles (which are all running 7-8 year old Clarion ProAudio units at the moment).

Like Scotty said; if you like Blaupunkt, go for it. You're already familiar with their nomenclature, quirks, and features. I doubt you'll be disappointed (though for the $$ I'd certainly do some comparison shopping on Crutchfield and go to some local audio shops and test out a couple head units first).
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2012 03:56 PM by blu92in99.)
10-22-2012 03:56 PM
Blue245Ti Offline
Manofewords

(tried to post this when the board TB'ed itself earlier today)

Been running a 6 year old Alpine CDA-9856 in my 245. In the other 245, an 8 year old CDA-9807... Like Justin said, if you like Blue Point stereos, stick with'em. I kinda lost interest in'em around the early '90s, when they started looking like rebranded Sony decks. They'd lost their distinctively European look around then. Something they tried to regain later on, but seem to have failed miserably at. 'Course, at the same time, I preferred Sony decks.

-J

1982 242Ti - black, M46. 1985 245Ti - blue, M46. 1989 745Ti - red, Aw71.
flickr page
10-23-2012 09:08 PM
745 TurboGreasel Offline
Posting Freak

The Kenwood I bought new for my truck has the worst control interface of probably any electronic device I've owned.
If you bump the volume knob to turn it down, you have to tap the knob 6 more times before you can adjust volume, then you'll have to do it again to fix the sub output level.
other than that it works fine.

I know the meaning of pie.[Image: common004.gif]
10-23-2012 09:33 PM
badvlvo Offline
Always Because Racecar

Blue dot can be some good stuff.
If it has the features you want then go for it.
I have been using Pioneer for ages and can recommend their equipment.

I know the meaning of life.
10-23-2012 09:58 PM
urbanwheeler Offline
1985 244ti M46

I had a Blaupunkt in my Suzuki, only cause it looked like a POS and no one would steal it. It worked ok, but not as well as the 1997 Pioneer DEH-635 I've had in a few different cars (last one was the Saab 900).
10-24-2012 01:11 AM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

Bought the BP Toronto 420. Uses the same harness and cage so swapping should be a snap.

Also has an SD slot. I've dozens of 256 & 512 cards at home.

We shall see.

Volvo Chaos Theory
11-02-2012 11:38 AM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

Yeah, so, the harness was NOT the same despite what people on Amazon Said. No worries though, I just did the soldering during the election.

Otherwise the unit went right in, no worries. I do have a few Qs.

First, when using the audio input on the front (1/8" stereo plug) I get a nasty whistle. I'm not yet sure if it's the device I'm connecting, the cable I'm using or the head unit. What usually causes this?

I have a 4-way 12-volt adapter hub that's mounted to the left side of the console right next to the radio. It causes a LOT of static when connected to the cigarette lighter port. Is there a way to shield this?

Lastly, I have a couple of weak stations that I'd like to try to get better reception on. Is there a good FM signal booster out there people have tried?

TIA

Volvo Chaos Theory
11-07-2012 11:28 AM
Blue245Ti Offline
Manofewords

Bil,

Is the static mainly on AM? It could just be a marginal antenna. Our '84 245GL has antenna issues that cause AM reception to sometimes be nonexistent. Having a cell phone charging cord plugged in makes matters worse. FM isn't too bad, but could be better, signal-wise, as evidenced by the boost in signal when the antenna is pulled toward the raingutter.

With respect to the whistle, I'd try other devices and see if they cause it as well.

-J

flickr page
11-07-2012 04:58 PM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

No, it's all in the FM band.

I'll try to post a vid tonight to demonstrate.

Note, I need only connect the 4 port 12 volt adapter to the cigarette lighter for this static to appear. Nothing needs to be connected to the adapter for this.

This is the item in question:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JPD...06_s00_i03

(11-07-2012 04:58 PM)Blue245Ti Wrote:  Bil,

Is the static mainly on AM? It could just be a marginal antenna. Our '84 245GL has antenna issues that cause AM reception to sometimes be nonexistent. Having a cell phone charging cord plugged in makes matters worse. FM isn't too bad, but could be better, signal-wise, as evidenced by the boost in signal when the antenna is pulled toward the raingutter.

With respect to the whistle, I'd try other devices and see if they cause it as well.

-J

Volvo Chaos Theory
11-07-2012 05:44 PM
blu92in99 Away
Posting Freak

(11-07-2012 05:44 PM)Ursan Wrote:  Note, I need only connect the 4 port 12 volt adapter to the cigarette lighter for this static to appear. Nothing needs to be connected to the adapter for this.
Sounds like you need to install an RFI filter.
11-07-2012 06:32 PM
Blue245Ti Offline
Manofewords

That, and check to see if the metal collar that surrounds the antenna mast on the underside of the rear quarter panel is making good contact with the sheetmetal. Might not be grounding properly.

-J

flickr page
11-07-2012 07:39 PM
badvlvo Offline
Always Because Racecar

Sounds like a ground issue.
As suggested check the antenna, and I would run a dedicated ground for the head unit not using the factory wiring.

I know the meaning of life.
11-07-2012 10:46 PM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

UPDATE:

I managed to remove a lot of whistle by using one of these:

http://www.tss-radio.com/installation-ac...-ilno.html

This removed the whistle when using just the radio/SD-card/CD player.

I'm still getting a whistle using thee 1/8" audio input but only if said device is connected to the 12v accessory plug. If it's powered independently there is no whine.

Here's the interesting bit. Even if it's connected to the car's 12v port, *AND* it's below 30 degrees (F), there is no whine until the car warms up.

I'm thinking something loose. But just in case, I also got one of these:

[Image: pie5a.jpg]
http://www.tss-radio.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=NF-12

I've yet to connect it.

I've also yet to check on the aerial as it's been a bit too cold lately. On that, I'm checking for proper ground, correct? The unit itself should have a good solid ground connection to the chassis?

Volvo Chaos Theory
02-04-2013 02:17 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

Also unless I missed it make sure the stereo itself is well grounded via something other than the wiring harness and/or antenna, theoretically the antenna should ground through the radio to the chassis via this route (wire at least as thick as yer 12+) as the fender grounds to the chassis not so much, especially on older rides like ours.

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
02-05-2013 04:34 AM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

(02-05-2013 04:34 AM)Shifted Wrote:  Also unless I missed it make sure the stereo itself is well grounded via something other than the wiring harness and/or antenna, theoretically the antenna should ground through the radio to the chassis via this route (wire at least as thick as yer 12+) as the fender grounds to the chassis not so much, especially on older rides like ours.

Can this be done via a tapped screw on the head unit itself and then to chassis?

Volvo Chaos Theory
02-05-2013 04:01 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

Yessir, I like the center rear support mounting pin hole, nice and sturdy.

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
02-05-2013 05:13 PM
Ursan Offline
WAT?

That seems easy enough. I'll try that.

Volvo Chaos Theory
02-05-2013 05:41 PM