91 940SE aka Project Tweek
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

RE: 91 940SE aka Project Tweek
Timing belt is pretty easy. Worst part is taking the crank pully off. Might as well do the tensioner roller too. Get a Hepu pump. It's probably the seal on the top of the pump

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
02-13-2013 05:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skunked Offline
in the garage

(02-13-2013 05:03 AM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  Timing belt is pretty easy. Worst part is taking the crank pully off. Might as well do the tensioner roller too. Get a Hepu pump. It's probably the seal on the top of the pump

Yes it's a hepu that I'm looking at with the OE kit from FCP (includes tensioner)

Volvo Timing Belt Kit and Water Pump Kit OEM Parts - TBKIT032WP-OEM

SKU 1071344418 $99.88 1 $99.88

73 Volvo 142
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 01:04 PM by skunked.)
02-13-2013 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
skunked Offline
in the garage

Over the weekend I dug into the exhaust manifold leak and found that to be a PITA, had to remove the turbo, downpipe and two oil lines so I could pull the manifold away from the block. 3 of 4 cylinders had blown gaskets. Had a great time trying to bolt the return line to the bottom of the turbo so I'm wondering if you guys typically pull the turbo with the return line attached since it appears it slides out of the block? Only reason why I ask is that it appears that the PO decided to use a bunch of RTV around the oil return line where it enters the block and it appears to be leaking pretty bad there now. I'm going to have to tear back into that after I order some seals. Also appears the distributor is leaking oil, I see a O-ring for that but is there anything else around there that I should replace while I'm in there? I need to get this car sealed up it's a leaky mess and I hate cars that leak oil.

Since the car was in the garage and I was an oily mess I decided to install the front Brembo rotors and OE pads to eliminate the death shake. Found the pads to be damn near new however the front passenger rotor was heavily worn and grooved. Brembo's were too big so I snagged a set of Duralast from AutoZone and got it back together. Still needs rear brakes and a fluid flush.

73 Volvo 142
02-19-2013 01:36 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline
bourbon the other foodgroup

i pulled turbo and manifold with return attached, but then only far enough to reach in and remove it- once i could get my ham-sized fist in there.

reattach: mounted manifold, jam the return pipe in the hole with the seal on it, land the turbo on all that, start fasteners. third hand is recommended
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 01:44 PM by Coupe' de Tat.)
02-19-2013 01:40 PM
skunked Offline
in the garage

(02-19-2013 01:40 PM)Coupe' de Tat Wrote:  i pulled turbo and manifold with return attached, but then only far enough to reach in and remove it- once i could get my ham-sized fist in there.

reattach: mounted manifold, jam the return pipe in the hole with the seal on it, land the turbo on all that, start fasteners. third hand is recommended

OK cool.

I'm ordering a bunch of seals from IPD now.

73 Volvo 142
02-19-2013 01:56 PM
skunked Offline
in the garage

Cleared the other car off the lift so I can get a better view of the leak and get ready to tear it down again.

On the lift
[Image: IMG_3292sm.jpg]

Overall mess
[Image: IMG_3277sm.jpg]

here you can see the RTV love job by the PO
[Image: IMG_3275sm.jpg]

appears to be leaking at the Turbo as well
[Image: IMG_3281sm.jpg]

Tomorrow I should receive the Distributor seal kit, valve cover gasket and both return tube seals from IPD. Won't get a chance to install the parts until next week.

73 Volvo 142
02-20-2013 05:49 PM
skunked Offline
in the garage

found the remnants of a seal a bunch of RTV
[Image: photo1.JPG]

It was much easier getting that seal between the drain pipe and the turbo installed on the bench. Then dropping the turbo back in with the drain pipe was smooth as butter.
[Image: photo2.JPG]
[Image: photo3.JPG]

Tweek is back on daily duty, leaking less and no longer sounds like a tractor. Still need to do the T-belt, Idler, water pump, radiator hoses & distributor / valve cover seals.

73 Volvo 142
03-04-2013 02:59 PM
skunked Offline
in the garage

few weeks back the 940 shit the bed, blew the water pump or the water tube seal.

Finally got a chance last night to replace the following:
Water Pump
Thermostat
Radiator hoses (upper and lower)
Timing Belt
T-Belt Tensioner
3 Accessory Belts

I decided to pull the radiator and intercooler so I could use an impact for the crank pulley bolt, that worked out well. I didn't realize the portion between the grill and radiator was fiberglass until after I had a shit ton of fiberglass stuck in my arms, that sucked. The overflow nipple on the radiator bent when I pushed the hose over it and decided to start leaking this morning. Hopefully some epoxy will fix that.

Engine is much quieter now, not sure if it was the pump or the t-belt making the noise before. I did notice the T-belt was a little looser than I typically like them to be. All in all the project went well and it was an easier job than I expected, I guess I've done too many FWD T-belts in the past.

73 Volvo 142
04-02-2013 11:56 AM