V70XC: turning out better than expected
kampman Offline

RE: V70XC: hell is previous owners (also whiteblocks)
e: herp
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 11:53 PM by kampman.)
08-12-2013 06:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kampman Offline

e: derp
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 11:53 PM by kampman.)
08-19-2013 07:11 PM
kampman Offline

Props to Darrell Waltrip Volvo for awesome customer service. I ordered a new fuel pressure regulator from them on Monday and sprung for second-day shipping. They sent me an email today apologizing for the delay in processing my order and overnighted it to me for no charge, so I should have it tomorrow. Hopefully this fixes things, since the car has been running noticeably worse.
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 06:45 PM by kampman.)
08-22-2013 06:43 PM
kampman Offline

FPR didn't change anything. While the car was running, I started moving the intake hoses to see if any of them were loose, bumped the pipe that's attached to the turbo, and noticed that the idle changed. Did it again, same result. Stuck the trouble light behind the engine so I could see the hose that connects the turbo and the pipe, and, well...

[Image: B4bnjlR.jpg?1]

I'm embarrassed that I missed that. Found a replacement at the junkyard for $2. Predictably, the car runs much better and is a lot quicker to boot.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 11:41 AM by kampman.)
08-25-2013 11:41 AM
kampman Offline

I hit up the dealer for some new struts and spring seats, since the front suspension is getting pretty noisy. Gonna piece together the rest from other places since it's cheaper and the list of repairs keeps getting longer.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 10:26 PM by kampman.)
09-05-2013 07:15 PM
kampman Offline

Replaced the struts, strut bearings, spring seats, and swaybar end links yesterday. The driver's side was the worst-an aftermarket spring seat and a crappy swaybar endlink had been installed at some point. No wonder it was clunking...

[Image: aiKNFNu.jpg?1]

As for the end links, I bought some Moog Problem Solvers. They were only $25/ea from Rockauto, and they seem to be much more robust than the style that everybody else sells. The ball joints and the diameter of the rod are larger, and they come with grease fittings so that the joints can be lubricated. Here's the Moog ball joint compared to the old one:

[Image: u6AkvEV.jpg?1]

Given that they're half the cost of the IPD HD endlinks, it was a no-brainer.

Needless to say, the clunking has stopped and the ride is much improved.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2013 01:01 PM by kampman.)
09-29-2013 12:56 PM
kampman Offline

Had to replace the throttle cable this week. The grommet that passes through the firewall called it quits and fell apart, which released the spring for the kickdown switch from its moorings. The car was still driveable, but the accelerator got floppy all of a sudden, and the throttle wouldn't open until the pedal was halfway through its travel. Not the most comforting thing to have happen in rush hour traffic...

Next on the agenda will probably be the heater core.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2013 06:53 PM by kampman.)
10-25-2013 06:52 PM
kampman Offline

Heater core and fuel filter ordered. Did some preliminary recon on the filter and connections, and found a possible cause of the recurring P0455 code this car has been stricken with since I got it. There's a rollover valve near the fuel filter that has two hoses going to it; one is badly cracked and the other is completely disconnected. I don't know if I'm going to address them when I replace the filter, but if I have to revisit them they're not that hard to get to.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 08:08 PM by kampman.)
10-28-2013 08:07 PM
kampman Offline

Replaced the fuel filter a while back, easy-peasy. Two quick-connect fittings, one bolt to release the bracket, and then the filter slides out the back. Everything is in plain sight if you remove the access covers in the hatch floor. Many online tutorials make it sound harder than it is, which seems to be a recurring theme for this car. Big Grin

I also replaced the heater core a couple weeks ago and flushed the cooling system before refilling it with new Volvo coolant. The old stuff had turned brown and smelled disgusting, so good riddance.

It has a little over 232,500 showing on the odo now-hard to believe I've driven it so much in a year. When I got it it had 207K on the clock.
01-05-2014 08:28 PM
kampman Offline

RE: V70XC: turning out better than expected
Over the weekend, I replaced the passenger-side engine mount and the rectangular o-ring between the oil cooler thermostat and the block, along with the screws that attach the thermostat. I overtightened the screws when I replaced the lines a while back, which caused them to stretch a little, and the o-ring was chewed up on one corner. Not sure which problem was causing it to leak, but it's dry now.

The engine mount had failed due to the leaking oil and was causing a lot of vibration to be transferred into the body and steering wheel. It was a simple fix, the NVH is much improved, and the engine movement is much better controlled now.

Not bad for an hour's worth of work. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2014 01:37 PM by kampman.)
01-20-2014 01:33 PM
kampman Offline

The "rebuilt" oil cooler lines are leaking now so I ordered some OE replacements. I just don't have time these days to call/run around to several hydraulic shops to see if they can fix them or DIY, and while the OE parts might leak again in a few years I doubt they'll fail within the remaining lifespan of the car/drivetrain. I also have a new radiator and alternator waiting to go in; the radiator is seeping around all of the cooler ports and the dash lights and headlights are flickering noticeably at idle.
04-16-2014 01:06 PM
kampman Offline

Not much happening with this car; it ticked over 240K last week. I replaced everything I mentioned in the last post; all 3 jobs were annoying but hey-they're done! Once I get the '00 R I just bought back on its feet I'm going to take this off the road for a little while to address some of the things I've been putting off for lack of time; I'd like to replace the foam in the driver's seat, replace the subframe bushings, and take care of a couple other things that can't necessarily be done in one evening.
07-08-2014 12:37 PM
mtd240 Offline

I have a '98 XC as well - got it in July 2013. Pretty much did every single repair you mentioned in this thread (almost in the same order, too Smile). I did the heater core, heater hoses, radiator hoses, and turbo coolant hose as well. I have learned that going all-OEM for parts is definitely worth it for most of the parts on these cars.

Oil cooler lines are on my list, and I have the rebuilt pieces already, but it sounds like you have had a bad experience with them. Maybe I should just follow my own advice and buy a new Volvo set.

Things I did that may be coming up for you haha:
Rear Cat weld busted (had a shop weld a sleeve over it)
Full front steering/suspension rebuild (control arms, end links, tie rods inner/outer, struts, mounts, etc etc)
ABS Module (got a rebuilt from MattyMoo on MVS)
Wheel bearing (replaced driver front and rear so far)
Rear CV axle seal, driver side (leaking diff fluid)
Upper and lower engine mounts
Radiator (plastic end tank cracked)

Stuff that I did after having read dozens of common issue/problem threads:
Trans Flush, Mobil1 (every 30k)
Bevel Gear Fluid (OEM, every 50k)
O2 sensor (every 100k, very likely that ignoring this is a contributor to the common burnt exhaust valve issue on these cars)
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014 01:46 PM by mtd240.)
10-13-2014 01:44 PM
kampman Offline

Someone read this thread? Big Grin

Sounds like you've definitely dealt with the usual P80 stuff. I have an exhaust leak that I need to chase down, and since my last post I've replaced the outer tie rod ends (which were seriously worn) and the upper engine mount (I scored a poly one from Philski on Turbobricks). I've got a jug of oil for the angle gear on the shelf, and I need to change the ATF before winter. If I get really ambitious, I might even replace the shot CV on the propshaft so that I can have AWD when the snow falls. After the winter we had last year it would be really nice.

Long term I'm going to have to do valve stem seals, probably when I do the timing belt, but aside from the little odds and ends I mentioned this car has just been trucking along-it turned over 244K this weekend. I don't see myself getting rid of it any time soon.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2014 12:59 PM by kampman.)
10-16-2014 12:56 PM
kampman Offline

Since I logged in here to check up on some info from earlier in the thread I figured I'd post an update. I successfully replaced the steering rack last winter but I haven't been driving it much (judging by my last post, I've only put 4000 miles on it in a year and a half) because the turbo is toast and it still shakes pretty badly around 65MPH. Due to some stressful family issues (which totally sapped my motivation) and a basket case S70 taking up the garage I didn't get any work done on this car last year, but I've been feeling better so I'm hoping to get the turbo and the subframe bushings fixed and possibly sell it.
02-02-2016 01:11 PM