VDO gauges & stock fitting
Turbobluebrick Offline

VDO gauges & stock fitting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VDO-Cockpit-Turb...4ac3e53028

Figured I'd run it by on here before I piss myself off... Tryin to buy new gauges, I like the VDO brand, want a close to stock look and was told some time ago that the new VDO gauges will still fit in the stock spots. I believe they are the only brand that will fit, if they actually do. Anyone actually install a VDO in a stock spot?

To clarify, what I'm asking about is the outer ring fitting behind the bezel.
04-29-2013 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WolfDK Offline
Boost addicted Volvo freak

RE: VDO gauges & stock fitting
(04-29-2013 07:30 PM)Turbobluebrick Wrote:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/VDO-Cockpit-Turb...4ac3e53028

Figured I'd run it by on here before I piss myself off... Tryin to buy new gauges, I like the VDO brand, want a close to stock look and was told some time ago that the new VDO gauges will still fit in the stock spots. I believe they are the only brand that will fit, if they actually do. Anyone actually install a VDO in a stock spot?

To clarify, what I'm asking about is the outer ring fitting behind the bezel.

My new VDO manifold pressure gauge did fit behind the bezel, only difference is the key preventing the gauge from rotating not being there.

- Enough boost is a fine balance between fun and flying parts
04-29-2013 08:03 PM
Turbobluebrick Offline

You talkin about one of those rubber things? Or am I not thinking 240 install here...
04-30-2013 02:16 AM
WolfDK Offline
Boost addicted Volvo freak

(04-30-2013 02:16 AM)Turbobluebrick Wrote:  You talkin about one of those rubber things? Or am I not thinking 240 install here...

No the 'key' on the original gauges that fit the 'slot' in the 240 aux gauge cluster(s). The key is there to prevent the gauge from rotating over time, that key was missing on my new VDO (have to realign it from time to time)

- Enough boost is a fine balance between fun and flying parts
04-30-2013 07:55 PM
dl242gt Offline
Plays The Blues

Yes, the stock gauges have a little plastic piece to align them. In the turbo I replaced the stock 52mm gauges with VDO vision series. They come with different colors so you can have a choice of illumination. I use the green so they look like a stock installation. I put in boost, oil temp instead of a clock, oil pressure and volts. I like them a lot. All the 52 mm gauges fit in the stock locations.

1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+.True Track diff. Flat hood, 1979 front grill, 2 screw Hella Ecode park/turn lights with H4 Hella headlights. 321k miles.

1993 Classic Edition wagon 5spd 341k miles.
05-03-2013 08:21 PM
Turbobluebrick Offline

Ohh cool. I get what you mean by the key. I was thinking of the lil rubber feet things that stick in the sides. Right now I have a stereo in the place where other gauges could be. Just going with boost nd oil pressure for now. May move the stereo...idk.... constant internal debate on that one.
05-08-2013 11:06 AM
dl242gt Offline
Plays The Blues

If you move the stereo to the lower area you have room for five gauges. Or, you can put less critical gauges down low where the lower stereo spot is. That would also fit three gauges. VDO used to sell a filler panel so you could replace the stereo spot with a three gauge panel that fits a stereo hole.

1982 242 turbo. MVP coilover front and rear suspension. Bilstein HD. IPD 25/25 bars. 3" MVP exhaust. Cosworth Sierra hot side T3 .48 with upgraded stock .42 compressor. Ported 90+.True Track diff. Flat hood, 1979 front grill, 2 screw Hella Ecode park/turn lights with H4 Hella headlights. 321k miles.

05-10-2013 06:42 PM
Turbobluebrick Offline

Yea I've seen it for sale by Colorado Volvo a few times... they're kinda a junking company that gets ahold of alotta odd Volvo parts. Almost bought it.... but that's the easy part, getting the kit in to actually move the stereo could be an ass pain. Prolly gonna do it tho... put an oil cooler in the other day, wanna get some numbers so I can compare with others.
05-11-2013 04:10 AM
dl242gt Offline
Plays The Blues

The lower stereo spot used a flat metal bracket with the appropriate sized hole for the stereo. Crutchfield used to sell it. It was a single din size and I put a clarion tape player in there in the 90s for the turbo. I've also used the original Volvo one and cut the hole larger. My 93 has an amp in the lower spot with the storage cubby being smaller to fit it. I kept the stereo at the top in that and put a voltmeter in one of the gauge spots.

05-11-2013 11:45 AM