Auto-trans fluid
Turbobluebrick Offline

Photo Auto-trans fluid
Bored... makin some more conversation on here.

I don't see much talk of synthetic fluid when it comes to upping auto trans performance/life. Perhaps there's a reason for that.

I'm currently running an AW71, mileage unknown and I'm assuming no one 'modded' it. It's from an Oregon yard. So... perhaps. It shifts about as good as any other old AW71, no complaints, but I try to be pro-active rather than re-active, as I won't have the cash for a standard swap for at least a year I'm sure.

Anyone swap to FULL synthetic in their AW71s? Results?

A good number of new cars on the market today come with synthetic fluids. The greatest purpose of this is longevity...of the fluid itself and w/e it's protecting. However, that doesn't mean an AW71 likes synthetic.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2013 06:44 PM by Turbobluebrick.)
06-23-2013 06:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coupe' de Tat Offline
bourbon the other foodgroup

RE: Auto-trans fluid
up to a certain year take type-F
the ones made after that (90% of them) you can give them the val-mart super tech super cheas gallon sized dex-merc.
06-23-2013 07:12 PM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

Been running M1 Dex/Merc in mine for 5 years now, somehow it's held together. Gotta flush it every 18-24 months though, as that seems to be when the shift quality starts dropping. It's a bit more expensive, but this thing has been holding up to my abuse for several years now, and it was abused before I got it.

Any of the AW71/71L/72's should be fine on Dex/Merc as that's factory fill, rather than the Type F of the earlier stuff.

74 144E, http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983
90 745T, GT2871R @ 18psi on E85, MS2V3, bunch of other goodies. 13.50 @ 100.71, traction-limited.
If you need Superpro bushings for ANY vehicle, PM me for price and availability!
06-23-2013 11:17 PM
Turbobluebrick Offline

I see.
So what I'm getting from this is synthetic hasn't been worth bothering with, or no one has tried it...
I've read various places that it can give softer shifts. Not sure how that's possible. But I mostly like synthetic because it's better with heat. Never used it in a trans tho.
gsellstr- I've read your ride info before...if you're using regular fluid I'd imagine the $100 for synthetic isn't worth it.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has tried it as well.
06-25-2013 12:10 PM
Coupe' de Tat Offline
bourbon the other foodgroup

behold, some writing on the wall

do you do a lot of towing? because that one seems to be the deal and trans breaker. heat build up leads to fluid failure, cooked internals. adding on some extra trans cooling is usually the best answer, and in hotter climates you might want both.

usually people want firm shifting from the trans, we mod them for that. softer shifts = more slipping = more wear.

we encounter stock turbo cars all the time that have maybe had one trans fluid change in their lifetime if that... later / upper tier models have a trans cooler in addition to the radiator tank cooler. sometimes the fluid flush 'kills' the trans, but that means it was just about to croak anyway.
06-25-2013 12:32 PM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

OP - you DID see that I'm running M1 fluid right? Mobil1 synthetic ATF (since M1 doesn't make a non-syn ATF). That's the stuff that's been running in mine for years.

As ^^^^ mentioned as well, the turbo cars came stock with a cooler in the radiator plus an external air/oil cooler. Heat is by far the biggest issue on auto's, synthetic fluid or not. Even with the stock external cooler my last fluid change was starting to smell a little burnt. Since then I've bypassed the in-tank cooler as it's not that helpful here in Cali, and I've replaced the stock external with a 12x12" cooler from a HD cooling equipped Dodge 3/4T truck, so temps should be a lot cooler.

Is the synthetic what's held mine together? Dunno, and it's VERY hard to compare in my case without running the same trans thru the same paces on stock fluid. Is my trans still alive and kicking long after it should have died? Yep. The shifts may be a TINY bit softer but it's VERY hard to tell. The 1-2 shift when I still had the VX cam in would bark the tires pretty solidly, not so much with the turbo cam.

90 745T, GT2871R @ 18psi on E85, MS2V3, bunch of other goodies. 13.50 @ 100.71, traction-limited.
If you need Superpro bushings for ANY vehicle, PM me for price and availability!
06-25-2013 02:36 PM
Turbobluebrick Offline

Ahh. Is your trans modded? Just curious. (gs)
Nope, I don't do any towing. I had thought about it in case I buy a small camper unit... lika pop-up... but I was like ehh, I'll just wait until I get a standard for that too.
In relation to the stress of towing tho... I am building a more powerful setup nd we all know why that is. *fun* For now I pretty much take it easy. None of that flooring it thru upshifts nd what-not.
It dawned on me after I posted before that M1 prolly means synthetic all the time, as my friend's supercharged car says M1 on the cap, basically just stating that it wants synthetic. Kudos to you for shelling out those clams for M1 dude. If I swap I'm content with Valvoline.

On the topic of not using the stock trans cooler.... I believe the reason I have to keep that is because it actually helps warm the fluid in the winter? Thus why it helps people to rev up their shitty Ford Taurus's nd such when it's freezing out so it'll shift.

My trans shifts pretty hard so I guess that's actually a good thing.
06-25-2013 06:28 PM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

For the cold we get, it really ain't needed. Coldest in the winter is 30's usually, a few days a year in the high 20's. The syn helps with low temp stuff as well.

My trans does have the accum. mod done as well.

Current power levels are in the 270-280rwhp range as well, so it's holding a decent bit of grunt.

06-25-2013 07:53 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

(06-25-2013 12:32 PM)Coupe' de Tat Wrote:  behold, some writing on the wall...we encounter stock turbo cars all the time that have maybe had one trans fluid change in their lifetime if that...

This.

More important than what's in there, is what kind of shape it's in. Run it on liquified jeeziz if you want but even that's gonna be crucified by wear and tear sooner or later and no three-days to resurrection bullshit.

Regular changes ftw, and if you do it often enough you don't really need to flush the whole thing.

Done every two years here in Japan, standard maintenance.

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
06-26-2013 03:29 AM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

^^^^ is dead on with the regular maintenance. Normal, non-abusive cars can run to 60k easily without issue. Mine starts going downhill at around the 20-25k mark, which is about 18-24 months.

06-26-2013 10:29 AM
Turbobluebrick Offline

I wish I knew how to do the accum mod. Someday I'll be schooled up on that. But I honestly hate auto trannys. & that's all I can find for sale when I actually need a car.

So I suppose next paycheck I'll go synthetic jus to get it all in there, then jus do regular changes with that as well.

I've always been a good regular maintenance person. However, frequently my efforts on this old car are futile, since it had 221k when I bought it, & now I have an AW71 with unknown mileage. At less than $300 with shipping & a 6 month warranty, I'm ok with not knowing the mileage honestly.

I'll def report back on here if full-syn makes any sort of difference in how it normally drives. Data is always helpfull.

Japan, you say? As in... the nation? Like where Subis/Yotas come from? Or does that reffer to something else....
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 06:25 PM by Turbobluebrick.)
06-26-2013 06:22 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

(06-26-2013 06:22 PM)Turbobluebrick Wrote:  Japan, you say? As in... the nation? Like where Subis/Yotas come from?

Aye. Smile

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
06-26-2013 06:31 PM
gsellstr Offline
Vintage anti-ricer

Go take a peek on TB for the accumulator mod. There's a couple how-to threads with pic's. If you have the trans out it'll take you 2 hours tops for your first time. All you need are basic tools, a couple bolts to cut to length, and a clean workspace, plus some attention to detail. It's not bad, probably more scary than anything.

06-27-2013 01:40 AM
nibroc Offline

atf+4 works for me---more writing on the wall!!!!!!!
01-31-2018 02:27 PM