SQUIRTER KIT REDUX
Mob Barley Offline
Masta Ran

SQUIRTER KIT REDUX
Ok we have some progress now.

I got some things from John and have been going over the parts, and working on refining the two kits to make them easier to use and get accurate results.

The fixture bolts will have 8x1.25m cap bolts so access will be improved, and over torquing will be less likely.

The spot face cutter is a bit short, so I've sourced a longer shaft so proper plumb alignment is facilitated, and the drill's chuck is free of the main caps.

photo SpotFacer1_zpsd7dd32c7.jpg

photo SquirterKit13_zpsce987589.jpg

They are now ready to go out into service.

I'm thinking a $100 deposit from which one way shipping will be deducted and a dollar a day if the kit is away for more than 10 days.

That is to say I will mail you the kit, and upon it's return to me in satisfactory condition within the 10 day time frame you will only pay for me to ship it to you, taken out of said $100 deposit.

A loaner indeed, but there must be some accountability if this service is to continue to serve the community.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In order to keep track of the tools you will need to post your requests in this thread, so we will have an ongoing record of their whereabouts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NB:

You will need to source your squirters from John V or wherever you can as I do not have a cost effective source for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Image: SquirterKits1_zpsead432a2.jpg]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had to get a few more parts to complete the kits and make it easier to get good results.

Userarmscrossed

An extension for the counterbore aka spot face cutter was needed so the drill chuck would clear the main journal.

Wrench

The 8x1m tap needed a 1/4" by 6" socket extension, a tap handle, and two layers of 5mil plastic to take the extra slop out of the tap to extension fit, but loose enough to let the tap find it's way square into the bore.

Bigsmile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's fun to do but you need to keep track of the steps, and take your time.

So on with the show...

In the interest of accuracy in the field the block was shimmed up level.

photo SquirterKit2_zps112b478c.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bushing fixture is set in the lathe drilled and tapped out main bolt.

photo SquirterKit4_zps00057622.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Dewalt 106 drill has a ball level in the back of the handle so it is possible to drill fairly perpendicular freehand.

photo SquirterKit3_zpsc7fa44b9.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picking a spot @ a 1/4 drill bit width from the edge using medium pressure and nice and slow with the drill at only about 600rpm the cast iron cuts quickly and easily.

photo SquirterKit5_zps405c0397.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The block wall into the oil gallery is about 3/8" or 8mm thick at this point, and the gallery is around 1/4" or 6mm wide, so be careful and let up when the sound changes and punching through is imminent.

photo SquirterKit6_zps72119c8d.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next the counterbore is run at half speed or @1250rpm with light pressure to cut it flat, and then just a touch at full speed 2500 rpm to smooth the surface.

photo SquirterKit7_zps7deea186.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drill again..

The fixture is repositioned by wiggling the drill bit back and forth to find the center, and tightened in place.

Drilling the 7mm pilot hole for the tap is tricky as it tends to grab in the 1/4" hole.

Very very light feed pressure, half speed, and the chuck not so tight so the bit can spin in the chuck when it grabs instead of snapping the bit off.

photo SquirterKit5_zps405c0397.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now the hole is faced, piloted and ready to tap.

photo SquirterKit8_zps7fa718d0.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The fixture is left in place and used as a guide during the threading operation.

photo SquirterKit9_zpsae869963.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'll feel the tap hit bottom and stop, don't push it and ruin the threads.

photo SquirterKit10_zpsa43a57e3.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The pointed tip of the tap is ground off to get the threads further down the bore all the way into the oil gallery.

photo SquirterKit11_zpscd1500fe.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The finished product.

photo SquirterKit12_zps07d947bb.jpg

The Lion Of Zion
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 11:53 AM by Mob Barley.)
08-08-2013 12:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

RE: SQUIRTER KIT REDUX
Awesome! Sticking this post. Does mcmaster have something with a more robust shaft? If so I will donate it to the cause. Just give me the links

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
08-08-2013 01:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mob Barley Offline
Masta Ran

(08-08-2013 01:56 AM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  Awesome! Sticking this post. Does mcmaster have something with a more robust shaft? If so I will donate it to the cause. Just give me the links

Thanks WBG4

~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a picture of the counterbore with extension in it's present rendition.

The larger counterbore is 7/16" shank and the 1/2" drill's chuck needed has clearance problems.

As it turns out my fears were unfounded as the counterbore is a finesse' tool and the 1/8" shank on the pilot is plenty sufficient if you're not a stupid knuckle dragging savage.

Trollface

The real trick would be to turn down some {4 to 6} 1/8" by 5/16" counterbore pilots to 7mm, and eliminate the 1/4" drilling step.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#counterbores/=nyxet9

This would make drilling the 7mm hole a whole lot easier as well because the 7mm bit wouldn't be trying to grab in the 1/4" bore.

I have a friend that teaches machining at Indian Valley college in Novato that would turn them down so this isn't just the usual benchrace, but an actual live ongoing working project to refine the two kits.

Wrench

Just called for a quote on six 1/8" x 7mm pilots in fact.

Fingersx

The Lion Of Zion
08-08-2013 11:47 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

What do you want me to order?

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
08-09-2013 02:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mob Barley Offline
Masta Ran

(08-09-2013 02:21 AM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  What do you want me to order?

You already got what is needed thanks.

Smile

The Lion Of Zion
08-09-2013 05:29 PM
Mob Barley Offline
Masta Ran

The latest kit is back home now, tested, simplified, and complete with everything needed except your 3/8" drill.

It is literally an easy one step drill, second operation spot face, and third hand tap the threads with each operation guided by the fixture to assure accuracy and alignment.

Thanks for helping with the development and doing the field testing operations qwkswede.

A big shout out to my friend Mark who teaches machining at the local Junior College, Catherine at Daly City Tool Mart, and especially to John V the mastermind of it all.

photo SquirterKit20_zps316589f1.jpg

The Lion Of Zion
08-30-2013 03:03 AM
Mob Barley Offline
Masta Ran

Now available with the kit or separately is a 3/4" NPT tap and 59/64" drill bit for machining the block for a turbo oil return fitting.

A drill with a 1/2" chuck is needed for the bit.

Deposit is $50.

photo SquirterKit21_zps8c8d2ed6.jpg

The Lion Of Zion
09-13-2013 10:50 PM