Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
15g to 19t Conversion
cjsafski Offline

15g to 19t Conversion
So you swapped to a 15g? Fun isn’t it? Well it is for a bit but after a little while I wanted a little more. I kept seeing 19t wheel and housing sets on ebay and decided to give one a try. The one I ordered cost around 170 shipped and was made by Kinugawa Turbo. I looked into them a little bit and the European subie guys seem to like their turbos. They claim they are good quality parts and not just cheap Chinese knock offs. The wheel and housing I got seemed decent.

For parts you will need the following:

TD04HL-15g (you could in theory use a 13c but it has a smaller exhaust wheel)
19T Wheel
19T Housing
BOV (if you get a housing without a CBV like me)
Rebuild Kit for a superback wheel

For tools you will need:

Basic tools
Snap ring pliers
Lathe (or take it to a shop)
Also you will need to get the turbo balanced

Useful Links:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.p...ostcount=1

http://brickspeed.net/VolvoDocs/MHI-Turb...uction.pdf

[Image: IMG_2506small.jpg]

The first step is removing the turbo. Duh. The easiest way I have found is to just remove all piping, oil and coolant lines and then just undo the central v band. After that it pulls out.

[Image: IMG_2505small.jpg]

Next the large c clip holding the compressor housing on needs to be removed. This is a pita and is easier to do with two people. One compressing the clip and the other prying it with a screwdriver.

[Image: IMG_2511small.jpg]

Once the clip is removed the CHRA can be freed. Remove the nut on the compressor wheel. Note: The nut is reverse threaded. Also be careful to not put a lot of side load on the shaft as to not bend it.

[Image: IMG_2516small.jpg]

Just for laughs here is a comparison of some wheels. From left to right we have a 13C, 15g and then the 19t.

[Image: IMG_2518small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2521small.jpg]

Next this c clip needs to be removed. Once it is removed use two flathead screwdrivers to pop out this piece.

[Image: IMG_2524small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2527small.jpg]

Here is why the rebuild kit is needed. The 19T wheel is a superback, where the 15g is a flatback. The only difference is two parts seen below. The superback parts are on the left.

[Image: IMG_2528small.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2531small.jpg]

At this point it would make sense to replace the rest of the parts in the turbo. This is not too difficult but I won’t discuss it and rather link to another thread.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.p...ostcount=1

Another link:

http://brickspeed.net/VolvoDocs/MHI-Turb...uction.pdf

Next there is a recess that the compressor wheel fits into that needs to be enlarged. The 19t wheel is too big for it. To do this you need a lathe so I just took it to a shop. In the pic below you can see the part that was lathed. Also make sure you take all the internal bits out. That journal bearing was placed in after I got it back.

[Image: IMG_2532small.jpg]

The next step is crucial. You need to take the turbo to a shop and have it balanced. The place I took it to only needed the compressor and exhaust wheels. Here it is after I got it back:

[Image: IMG_2539small.jpg]

Now the reassembly. Just follow the disassembly in reverse or look at the previous link. Be careful when putting the exhaust wheel back in. There is a clip on the wheel that needs to be seated right. If not, you will have a hard time with it. Make sure the clip is starting to go into the housing with a flat head screwdriver. At this point it should look like this:

[Image: IMG_2540small.jpg]

However, this is not how the wheel is supposed to sit. I just hit it with a rubber mallet a few times until it snapped into place.

[Image: IMG_2543small.jpg]

Next put the compressor wheel on and tighten the nut down. The torque spec for it is something lower than my torque wrench can read, so I guestimated it and put some loctite on as insurance.

Lastly you need to do something about the wastegate actuator. The compressor housing has plenty of threaded holes so this shouldn’t be too hard. I used an ac compressor bracket and a wga from a T3. Reason for the T3 actuator is the Mitsubishi one is supposed to suck. Luckily for me the bracket I made for the 15g worked perfectly with this housing.

[Image: IMG_2547small.jpg]

And that is it. Reinstall the turbo and all the other bits and you are good to go.

[Image: IMG_2550small.jpg]

1993 Volvo 940: b230ft with 16v, MS2, 57 Trim T3/T4, Ebay Intercooler , 3" Exhaust, Cut Springs Smile
1996 Miata: JRSC m45 supercharger, Ebay Intercooler, MS2, Tein Flex 9/6, 15x8 6ULs
[Image: Banner4.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2011 12:24 AM by cjsafski.)
01-21-2011 12:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WolfDK Offline
Boost addicted Volvo freak

RE: 15g to 19t Conversion
Nice writeup Smile

You need an extra hole and bolt in that wastegate actuator bracket, or it will flex and come loose over time.

- Enough boost is a fine balance between fun and flying parts
01-21-2011 08:53 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Mine hasn't and it's been like that on my 15g for almost a year now!

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
01-21-2011 12:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

http://brickspeed.net/node/15 posted on the main page! This is a great start to our articles section. I'll try to get some of the other ones that have been written up today or next week!

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
01-21-2011 12:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Orie Offline
Parked in the garage

(01-21-2011 12:09 PM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  Mine hasn't and it's been like that on my 15g for almost a year now!

+1!

RIP seaNM9

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-Albert Einstein
01-21-2011 02:09 PM
FAST242 Offline
Volvo Powa since 1995

(01-21-2011 02:09 PM)Orie Wrote:  
(01-21-2011 12:09 PM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  Mine hasn't and it's been like that on my 15g for almost a year now!

+1!

What amount needs to be machined down on the backing plate? How was it measured?

PJ

UMMM, Volvo content.
03-03-2011 05:28 AM
cjsafski Offline

Just took metal off until the wheel fit and then a few mm more for good measure. I tried to match the amount of gap there was on a 13c I had lying around.

1993 Volvo 940: b230ft with 16v, MS2, 57 Trim T3/T4, Ebay Intercooler , 3" Exhaust, Cut Springs Smile
1996 Miata: JRSC m45 supercharger, Ebay Intercooler, MS2, Tein Flex 9/6, 15x8 6ULs
[Image: Banner4.jpg]
03-04-2011 03:51 PM
harribert Offline
Now with moar Honda.

How does it run with the tiny ass conical hotside?

What's the powerband like??

Harald

Uberhoopt; '91 244 -- GONE
Honda Fit (to be nicknamed) '11

Quote:Originally Posted by Inc3pt
You talk so much **** it's amazing
Carry on.

Quote:Originally Posted by Quin
when harald's telling you not to be a bitch, you know you're being a bitch
12-16-2011 11:30 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Surges like hell iirc. Run flat instead.

12-17-2011 01:14 AM
harribert Offline
Now with moar Honda.

I am gonna run a 6cm^2 angled housing...

Harald

Uberhoopt; '91 244 -- GONE
Honda Fit (to be nicknamed) '11

Quote:Originally Posted by Inc3pt
You talk so much **** it's amazing
Carry on.

Quote:Originally Posted by Quin
when harald's telling you not to be a bitch, you know you're being a bitch
12-17-2011 05:09 AM