Myles' '75 Chevy LUV _ Donata the Daily Driver
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

Myles' '75 Chevy LUV _ Donata the Daily Driver
For the past two months, I've found myself content traveling exclusively by fixed gear road bike. That was until I purchased my first LUV, Chevy LUV that is.

I should ask my friend the detailed story one more time, just to know for myself, but this LUV was stashed in a field for a while, till he was asked to help revive it. The owners lost interest and gave it to him and a clutch slave cylinder and some carburetor adjustments later, he had a running driving car!!! Things have changed in his life, and he got a newer car and wanted to part with this one. I spent the last week searching for Volvo after Volvo and nobody seemed to want to make a deal...until I got a text, out of the blue, from my friend, giving me first dibs on his '75 Chevy LUV.

I didn't hesitate...I'll take it...NOW!!! So after class, last night, he picked me up and drove me to it's resting place in Sonoma. A quick walk-around in the dark and I was hooked...got in and drove her home, but not before a quick stop to the gas station to clear off the windscreen; the tank was half full so I cruised.

A little rough around the edges, well yeah, maybe, but it's a solid, running, driving, SMUG Exempt Chevy LUV.

I couldn't be more excited!!!

I drove it to work today, and in my downtime, I managed to wire in the tachometer that was hanging on the steering column. The car's wiring is a mess, but I'll get to that...it runs and drives, which is important, but no interior lights work, nor do the wipers and I need to wire in my stereo. I swept out the bed, got some cool license plate frames from my friends at the Volvo shop, properly fit the Mexican seat blanket, which came with the truck, and sealed the 9/32" hole that had been drilled in the roof...so I've got no leaks to worry about. When I got home, I gave her a bath and she's slowly starting to shine. Big Grin

I'm surprised with just how well it actually drives...It's got manual steering and it feels, well, not tight, but it's responsive and has a good weight to it. The truck feels very well balanced and nimble...which I did not expect at all! The motor, too, has well, enough power for now. It's by no means fast, but not the most anemic thing I've driven either. The first couple things I'd like to do is the late model front disc brake upgrade, with some stainless steel lines, and I'd like to find a set of Bilstein HD shocks to replace what's on there now...I've just got to start measuring shocks to find a set that'll fit. I've got to spend some time, reseaching options and sources for replacement bushings, as most, if not all are cracked and look pretty well shot.

It's my first Pick-Up Truck and Carbureted car, all in one!!!

So, meet my new ride, Donata (came with personal plates, so it's adopted the name)

[Image: DSCF5615.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5616.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5617.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5619.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5621.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5622.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5624.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5625.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5626.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5639.JPG]

[Image: DSCF5631.JPG]
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 01:20 AM by Mylesofsmyles.)
09-10-2011 01:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redwoodchair Offline

RE: Myles' '75 Chevy LUV _ Donata the Daily Driver
Looks good Myles, I can't wait to ride in it!

All Hat No Cattle.

[Image: volvo_10.jpg]

09-10-2011 01:28 AM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

(09-10-2011 01:28 AM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  Looks good Myles, I can't wait to ride in it!

Dude, I totally LUV it. Smile

It's got a feeling that really reminds me of your 145...in a good way.

I've got to get Shifted's attention, so he can keep an eye out for a Isuzu G200W DOHC head for me, JDM exclusive.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2011 01:35 AM by Mylesofsmyles.)
09-10-2011 01:34 AM
Redwoodchair Offline

Big $hipping from Japan.

All Hat No Cattle.

[Image: volvo_10.jpg]

09-10-2011 01:42 AM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

Lolz, so's a Redblock/T5 transplant
09-10-2011 02:01 AM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

I would rock the shit out of that, nice catch. Smile

I had an '84 Isuzu P'up, direct descendant, yours is better.

Get me more info on the head, I will see what I can do.

Shipping's not that bad, really...

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
09-10-2011 06:02 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

(09-10-2011 01:42 AM)Redwoodchair Wrote:  Big $hipping from Japan.

Not if he can get dean to ship it Wink

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
09-10-2011 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
s_r_c Offline

Oh hell yes.
These and Couriers man. Good score, and '75 to boot.

84 240 Turbo - 71 ID21F - 88 CX Gti?
09-10-2011 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

(09-10-2011 06:02 AM)Shifted Wrote:  I would rock the shit out of that, nice catch. Smile

I had an '84 Isuzu P'up, direct descendant, yours is better.

Get me more info on the head, I will see what I can do.

Shipping's not that bad, really...

I'm going to continue my investigation, as I don't know all the specs and details...

As per Wikipedia, the later models used a 2.0L variant of the same 1.8L engine in my truck...like a B21 to B23 upgrade. The G200 came as SOHC and DOHC...DOHC, only in Japan...The G200W.

G200's are in the States, so I can put together a short block, and put on a DOHC head, when you find one. Big Grin

"The 2.0L G200Z SOHC engine was used in the and 1981-1985 Chevrolet LUV and also Isuzu Trooper (Holden Jackaroo in Australia). With carburettor 86 hp with EFI in the Isuzu Piazza 90 hp in the US and 110 hp in Japan

The 2.0L G200W DOHC 8V engine was found in the 19??-1985 JDM , Isuzu 117 Coupe & early Isuzu Piazza with 135 hp (101 kW) and 123 lb·ft (167 N·m) of torque.
Bore x stroke: 87mm x 82mm, displacement: 1,949 cc (119 cid)"

I haven't had a weekend day off in a while, so I'm up early...going to the Fairfax Classic Car Show, this morning, then up to Windsor, to check out the two later model LUV trucks at the Pick-N-Pull...hopefully coming home with the later model disc brake hubs and calipers, to replace the front drum brake setup.
09-11-2011 09:07 AM
Wagonfetish Offline
142 & 164 Drivarr

Woot! Good on you for saving another smug exempt vehicle that is considered "undesirable" to most. Personally I've always liked the LUVs for their stylings if nothing else.
Looks like a perfect JYRunner, and I want a ride too!

Ring doktorn o skicka nå'n, för jag har Volvosjukan.

WagonFetish Wrote:I don't always drink the Flavor-Aid.

But when I do, I prefer to drink it with Jim Jones.
09-11-2011 11:26 AM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

(09-11-2011 11:26 AM)Wagonfetish Wrote:  Woot! Good on you for saving another smug exempt vehicle that is considered "undesirable" to most. Personally I've always liked the LUVs for their stylings if nothing else.
Looks like a perfect JYRunner, and I want a ride too!

It sure does!

It answers the call of what I NEED. I was looking for all sorts of cars, 242's, Miata's, 960's and a few 70's & 80's Diesel Benz's...The deals weren't working as I'd be too late, or the car wouldn't be right or I'd not hear back from the seller.

This deal fell into my lap and I took it out of need, and because my friend wanted me to take care of it. I'm quickly growing into it and learning about it.

Yep, I can throw anything in the back, it's a TRUCK. Big Grin

Perfect for the JY, for the dog, beach, groceries, just about anything.

So, would you know it...the stars aligned...AGAIN, and a car found me, that's exactly everything I NEED.

I'm just super excited that it's actually a car I'm interested in and care about.
09-11-2011 11:45 AM
volvoDouche69 Offline
Resident Corvette Fanatic

That thing is awesome!!! Super jealous!
09-11-2011 11:52 AM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Badass. I think.

What are you going to do with it?

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
09-11-2011 03:50 PM
urbanwheeler Offline
1985 244ti M46

If the 760 was a truck, I'd still have it.

Mini trucks are awesome in lots of ways, I kinda want a 4wd one again
09-11-2011 11:38 PM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

(09-11-2011 03:50 PM)scottyd Wrote:  Badass. I think.

What are you going to do with it?

All kindza Badass shit!

Tongue
09-11-2011 11:45 PM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

[Image: DSCF5740.JPG]

Drove to the JY for some parts...paid $20 for a bunch of small, spare stuff like lights and switches. Going back tomorrow to take care of the important stuff!
09-12-2011 12:50 AM
casioqv Offline
Mad Engineer

Sweet LUV! Looks great! I wish I had a LUV diesel...

(09-11-2011 11:38 PM)urbanwheeler Wrote:  If the 760 was a truck, I'd still have it.

HF has their knockoff Sawzall on sale for $24.99 Ninja

-Tyler
'84 760 Diesel D24T/M46
'87 745 Turbo B230FT/AW71
'87 Mercedes 190D Turbo OM602.961/722.413
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 09:35 PM by casioqv.)
09-12-2011 09:33 PM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

I'm certainly feelin' the LUV!

Made a trip back up to PnP, which was rather unsuccessful.

I made it home and got the title transferred over to my name, yay!!!!!! It's an extra $50 per year to keep those personalized plates, so I sacrificed them and was issued a brand new pair of plates.

The remainder of the afternoon, I spent with the air cleaner off the carburetor, trying to make sense of the old SMUG pump system and replace whatever worn vacuum lines I could find.

I ended up replacing every vacuum line, and securing them with AWAB hose clamps, i've collected from various Volvo's. It's amazing what idle and throttle response is like, when you've got no vacuum leaks. I also found dry, cracked, ready to burst fuel lines under there, so I b-lined it to HAT Racing and got some Good-Year fuel hose and fixed it on the spot...then off to the nasty Kragen for some nice wiper blades...I got the wipers working today!...some vacuum plugs and a new fuel filter. Car runs much, MUCH better now, and I'm happy to have working wipers and constant 12v to the radio lead...they're on the same terminal on the fuse panel...which needs service too.

There's still a nasty mess of wiring under the hood, which shall be repaired soon, but first thing is to completely eliminate the SMUG pump stuff, cut out the Cat and get idle, mixture, dwell and timing set.

No substantial projects are planned for Donata Brassica, however, I've started filling a bin with parts for later and spares...

Here's what I gathered, this weekend...

[Image: DSCF5743.JPG]

Inspiration for later, and maybe for when rewiring takes place. Later style LUV gauge cluster surround, for three round gauges, instead of that "artistic" thing they put in the early ones. Would you know it, Porsche 944 gauges are just about the same size, so I'm only a sheet metal backing support plate away from that going together.

[Image: DSCF5744.JPG]

6500 RPM redline is more than ambitious for this current motor configuration.

[Image: DSCF5745.JPG]

Gotta clean that goop off, but that's a nice way of combining idiot lights, fuel and temp gauges. I want to find a 100+mph 944 speedo to make it complete...the 944 I picked only went to 85mph. Then again, why does that matter in THIS truck?

[Image: DSCF5747.JPG]

I had these sitting around, and I think they'll compliment the Porsche gauges nicely and hang below the heater console.

[Image: DSCF5748.JPG]

That late model surround, all cleaned up.

[Image: DSCF5749.JPG]

A not-torn shift boot.

[Image: DSCF5750.JPG]

Spare hazard's switch and a wiper fluid pump...elemental to a system that needs to be reinstalled, before winter.

[Image: DSCF5751.JPG]

Later style dash vents...why not?

[Image: DSCF5752.JPG]

Wouldn't hurt to have these trim pieces and switches for spares.

[Image: DSCF5753.JPG]

Spare fuses, pedal pads, door levers, side marker lights, a window crank and a few relays. Because, when you see a Chevy LUV in the yard, I'm quickly learning you grab what you can. These cars seem so baked, you can usually do so in one pocket, rofl2

[Image: DSCF5754.JPG]

More treasures from the Volvo collection. To be used during the rewiring. I think the headlights are currently wired without a relay.
09-12-2011 11:41 PM
122power Offline

Nice find man, like the styling of these trucks.
09-15-2011 03:10 PM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

I think this is what you're after, this one's a little rough and missing some bits however:

[Image: zzrrzzrrzzrrzzrr-img600x450-1297735413jyx91z4678.jpg]

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
09-15-2011 09:25 PM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

might not actually...

I've since learned that the head doesn't fit the 2.0L blocks in America....I'd need the whole long block, so I think I'll scrap that idea for a 2.6L SOHC engine, that is available in the US.

Gotta do some more homework though.

WHere did you get that?
09-16-2011 01:03 AM
badvlvo Offline
Always Because Racecar

Or you could go Mitsubishi and stuff a 4g63 in there with a D-50/Starion or whatever trans and be the big winnar!

I know the meaning of life.
09-16-2011 10:26 AM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

(09-16-2011 10:26 AM)badvlvo Wrote:  Or you could go Mitsubishi and stuff a 4g63 in there with a D-50/Starion or whatever trans and be the big winnar!

Ummm, I guess....

I'm really digging carburetors.
09-17-2011 12:17 AM
760T man Offline
Ultra Moderator

That's a bad ass truck Myles. Takes me back to when I was a kid, riding around in my grandpa's '70s Datsun pickup.

[Image: sig.png]
09-17-2011 01:26 PM
Mylesofsmyles Offline
Drank The Drank

Couldn't live with a nasty air leak!

The stock Hitachi carburetor had a lot of play in the throttle shaft and exposed & exaggerated the symptoms of a horrific air leak. It'd fight cold starts, hesitate off the line and occasionally miss, or hesitate while driving.

Manned up and got a brand new Redline-Weber 38 DGES kit and it solved all my problems, while giving me a new toy to play with.

Again, this is my first experience with carburetors; the Weber is really fun to play with...only a few settings and adjustments and it really is "Back to Basics."

It took me till today to figure out how to properly adjust the pair of Idle Mixture screws, which helped, as I had them about a full rotation away from one another...now they're set even. Then I made some adjustments to the throttle cable attachment plate, and it feels a whole lot better.

Silly though, I can't get the electric choke to function on it's own...provided, I've got the filter off, it's no trouble to manually engage it and it'll work, but when I need it, it doesn't work. I've got it 12v and it grounds fine, so what's up???
10-20-2011 12:12 AM