the greenie meanie
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Tongue the greenie meanie
Some of yall might remember this car from tbricks. I picked it up.. about a year ago I think, to replace the 965 I was trying to get rid of (like the looks of the 95+ cars, don't like the maintenance cost and other nuances). It's an all purpose kinda vehicle, I use it to go get stuff from the jy, haul junk, etc. Cosmetically it's not great

(just look at the awesome paint!)
[Image: 130824127.jpg]

but it's not too bad otherwise. a good cleaning, scuff and shoot, and it'd look pretty sharp. I might get around to the paint later if I can't find a matching hood, cowel, fenders in the jy.
[Image: 130824130.jpg]

it is a stripper
[Image: 130824129.jpg]

and aside from needing new carpet (anyone know a good place for the stuff?) the interior is just filthy, but everything works for the most part.

It's got all this boring shit under the hood right now
[Image: 130891261.jpg]

the exhaust has been repaired a couple of times, looks like someone stuck NA stuff on after the cat, resulting in less than optimal performance (but supremely quiet operation). With that in mind, disconnecting the cat from the downpipe dropped it from a 16.0 to a 14.5:
[Image: 133103498.jpg]

and after some tweaking and other shenanigans
[Image: 133764495.jpg]

stuffed a wideband in there
[Image: 134101864.jpg]

bought this thing:
[Image: 138082958.jpg]

[Image: 138082957.jpg]

stock evo 8 turbo. making the downpipe is going to be a lot of fun, I may do something a little different from what sam did, his looks nice but it was a complete pain in the ass.

The plans are to eventually copy sam's exhaust setup, but on a 16v.
[Image: 127794936.jpg]

No real ETA on the project, not in any big rush since I'd like to keep the cost down. modest power goals, with more of an emphasis on reliability. and it gives me something to test other stuff on, since I'll be leaving the AW in the car.

Depending on when it comes together, I may initially tune it out with LH (probably will); been toying with adapting an AEM, or doing the vanilla MS3 stuff.
09-15-2011 09:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

RE: the greenie meanie
I've seen carpet for sale on ebay as new, no idea if it's any good or not but it was in teh $170 iirc.

Your projects are always fun to watch Smile

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
09-15-2011 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badvlvo Offline
Always Because Racecar

Should be an interesting project. Looking forward to seeing the downpipe for that rather interesting housing.

I know the meaning of life.
09-15-2011 12:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

don't think it'll be that bad. I think I'm going to get one of the ebay o2 housings and modify it to suit my needs... costs about the same as the damn outlet flange anyway, comes with hardware and a gasket, so wtf not eh?

probably go ahead and order that, the turbine inlet flange; then I gotta track down a stock wga and compressor discharge pipe (I mean.. I could make one, but hell even new ones are like $20 on the 'bay, so digging up someone's crusty old spare shouldn't be a big deal.. assuming we don't have one laying around in the great wide world of heebspeed spare turbo shit)
09-15-2011 01:23 PM
sdturbo Offline

I got carpet for my 245 off ebay from ACC for around $100. Really made the car a lot nicer inside, I plan to do the same with my 745 real soon.

I am excited to see how that turbo does on this, should be a nice match.
09-17-2011 12:37 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

(09-15-2011 11:20 AM)WindowsBreakerG4 Wrote:  Your projects are always fun to watch Smile

Srsly.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
09-18-2011 03:30 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Massive fuck-in-the-ass setbacks this weekend.. Went to replace the transmission with a freshly rebuilt aw71L, old one came out after a fashion (lazy and a couple hundred k do not make things want to come loose easily, heh), the new one went in... too easy.

I didn't pay close attention to the converter on the old transmission, since it looked the same as the one that was going in it, I simply assumed it was a lockup setup and set it down on the snout. it felt like it dropped right in, looked like it'd dropped right in.. and.. yeah. got it all together in the car, poured new fluid in it, and cranked it up.. and got a whole lot of nothing other than gear drag. Put the pressure gauge on the line pressure port, nothing. Shit. I thought it was something in the valve body (maybe something shifted, I forgot to tighten bolts, something stupid like that) so I pulled the pan on the old transmission to allow me to do a side-by-side... and that's when I realized it had the wrong converter.

in the process of removing it for the first time today (yeah that's right, for the first time...) I also noticed one of the trans cooler lines was loose. put it on the list to address when it went back up in the hole, dusted off my spare aw72L converter (higher stall), flushed it out with new fluid, stuffed it in there, put the trans back up in the hole, hooked the pressure gauge back up, cranked it up and... still nothing. At this point I'd also found out that in the process of moving things around, the kickdown cable got dorked up at the trans case, and the cooler fitting had pulled all of the gd threads out of the case. so instead of taking an ATF bath, I opted to pull the trans out and bring things back to square one.

The old 71 that was in the car was in fairly good shape, the C2 clutch pack was cooked, but that appears to be about it.. I believe this is a sealing ring issue and/or possibly dry piston seals (although it airchecked like a motherfucker on another center support cluster with new sealing rings). The plan is to clean the old trans up and stuff the already rebuilt (and still pristine looking) guts in it, unless something jumps out when I disect the valve body from the 71L. it was obviously pumping fluid around the transmission, since nothing was dry (and it did have a propensity to leak when I forgot to tighten the linepressure test port bolt, although it didn't leak with the ferocity one would expect), it just wouldn't build pressure. points to issues with the valve body itself since that's what primarily dictates line pressure (with some influence coming from the governor and the throttle valve of course, but primarily the valves in the vb run this).

oh well. maybe the stuff I ordered last week will get here before everything is buttoned back up and I can field test a 4 clutch C2 setup.
09-18-2011 11:27 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Double-checked various things in the rebuilt transmission (Aside from the valve body) and everything is kosher/fine. Still don't know what was up with all that drama. Anyway, gave the other case a quick cleanup, air checked the rear pistons (perfect, saves some time), and re-assembled it up to the center support cluster, which wasn't wanting to play ball last night. I'll double-check that guy tonight and see what's up, and finish re-assembling the transmission. weather pending, it might get stuffed back in the hole as well, but we're supposed to get rain for the next three GD days (go figure).

I think the actual source of failure on the transmission that was in the car were the sealing rings on the center support cluster, leading to a premature(well, 260k isn't really premature, but still) failure of the C2 clutch pack.. when I air checked it with it's center support cluster I got a lot of blow back out the bottom behind the drum, when I air checked it on the re-built cluster, I got virtually none.
09-20-2011 08:09 AM
Orie Offline
Parked in the garage

(09-20-2011 08:09 AM)linuxman51 Wrote:  I think the actual source of failure on the transmission that was in the car were the sealing rings on the center support cluster, leading to a premature(well, 260k isn't really premature, but still) failure of the C2 clutch pack.. when I air checked it with it's center support cluster I got a lot of blow back out the bottom behind the drum, when I air checked it on the re-built cluster, I got virtually none.

Funny how we think of 260k as a premature failure.. runaway

It's true though. One of my childhood friends' dad had a 244 from new. By the time I came around, it was rough with peeling paint, but he kept immaculate care of it from a mechanical standpoint. Last I heard, he had to replace the auto at 530k miles. (And apparently that was because of the valve body, not the clutches!)

RIP seaNM9

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-Albert Einstein
09-20-2011 01:57 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

transmission is more or less back together (still have to put the od solenoid back on it, and the x-member), air checked everything I could get my hands on, so it should be ready to rock and roll. depending on the weather this afternoon i'll go ahead and cram it in after work.

tracked down a reasonably priced j-pipe and wastegate actuator, and went ahead and ordered the flanges. bouta order the material for the up pipe. then it probably sits for a while, since things are starting to ramp up for SE and other shenanigans (me & the wife going to Hawaii in november, woohoo!)
09-21-2011 08:05 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

f-ing double post

Or not. Now it's the tale of the missing post.

at any rate:
Dodged the weather and lack of light, stuffed the transmission back up in the car and let it run for a few minutes with the rear wheels off the ground (and kickdown disconnected. that's not really a trick, I was just trying to beat the weather at that point) ANYWAY.. it all seems good right now. I'll let it warm up after work and double check the fluid levels (And hook up/set the kickdown), and see if it actually works or if it's just going to be another tease Scold

I think it'll be fine, it behaved correctly last night in the air. reverse appeared to work right, 1 turned the wheels forward slowly (at idle), 2 a little faster, and 3 faster still. park is park and who knows about neutral. gear drag in neutral will lead you to believe anything Tongue
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2011 08:16 AM by linuxman51.)
09-21-2011 10:17 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

How did you manage that? lol And like 14 hours later to boot!

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2011 10:20 PM by WindowsBreakerG4.)
09-21-2011 10:20 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

that's wierd. last night there was a double post (firefox went into offline mode, I clicked it back over and hit the post reply button again), now there's just an empty edited post.

Shenanigans. Cruel and Traggic Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans.
09-22-2011 08:12 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Yay, transmission is working well. gonna give it a few weeks (well, maybe I should come up with some kind of mileage spec, since I don't drive it that often) and flush the fluid again just to make sure there's nothing strange in it. but it seems good. I get a nice crisp 1-2 and 2-3, and with stock mounts all around, nothing bad happens when it goes in reverse lol. (I also left a slight bit of accumulator function there, so that may have something to do with it)
09-22-2011 05:17 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yegads. spent all day drilling out 4 broken studs in the turbine housing. still have half of one to go. tried welding nuts to them first, that just twisted things off flush

even the gee-whiz dewalt drillbits just dull out after a minute or so (low speed on the drill!).
09-26-2011 10:49 AM
760T man Offline
Ultra Moderator

(09-26-2011 10:49 AM)linuxman51 Wrote:  yegads. spent all day drilling out 4 broken studs in the turbine housing. still have half of one to go. tried welding nuts to them first, that just twisted things off flush

even the gee-whiz dewalt drillbits just dull out after a minute or so (low speed on the drill!).

Ahh yes, good ol' exhaust fasteners. Just ask vivalavolvo or CollinsTheClown on TB how much fun we had with a broken downpipe stud on mine when I was hung up there.

[Image: sig.png]
09-28-2011 08:27 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yeah it can suck hard. Got the turbo flange yesterday, waiting on the order of stainless to get in so I can get my buddy to cut me some flanges for the na manifold.
Might have it partially mocked up by SE, we'll see. That's not really the goal, but I get bored easily, and there's only so much I've got left to do before the meet.
09-28-2011 09:12 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Fixed the last broken stud. cheated. cut a notch out of the housing (only smoked two old sawzall blades), slotted the stud and collapsed it inward and was able to finally get it out. ground down the corners a little bit, cranked the welder up as high as it would go, turned up the wire speed a bit, and stuck it back on, surfaced it and drilled it back out. not a load bearing member, I could have left it off and it'd been alright, just an asthetic fix. hopefully all my stainless will be here today and i can start playing with it.
09-30-2011 11:09 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

[Image: 138641929.jpg]

yay last flange. should have the pipe waiting at my buddy's shop. Probably won't be able to get it for a little while though since his wife just had a baby and I imagine he's pretty hemmed up with all that.
10-07-2011 08:11 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

cleaned the wagon today (first time. it was dirty dirty), pulled the front seats out, got about 3 bucks in change, etc. in the next couple of days I'll go rent a steam cleaner and hit the seats and carpet, and let it ride for the time being.
10-07-2011 08:22 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

got a set of 560cc injectors, giggidy.

chesh dropped off a dirty but unmolested 16v head at se
and I finally picked up the stainless. might need a little more to finish the job.
[Image: 139132254.jpg]
10-24-2011 11:15 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Oh damn you're really going to out do sam's wagon huh!

10-25-2011 01:15 AM
sdturbo Offline

Yay its getting a good head.
10-25-2011 02:01 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yep. you'll be getting a call at some point for a number of items.

going to need timing belt stuff, piston cutter stuff, stuff stuff.

Initially it's going to be running lh 2.4, just to kinda see if I can get that to behave and work semi-correctly (of course, that ASSumes that the buchka's get me my wasted spark box, I have little desire in keeping the factory distributor but I guess it could work for a little while), and after I've recovered financially from the 'build', it'll be ms3 with goodies. Might pick up another cas adapter and finally get to use my high res trigger disc, that seems like the easy way out.

the short build list:
hbeamz for sleeping at night
yoshi fab piston cutter, timing belt, probably crank gear. maybe cas adapter? time will tell.
rod burrins'
block seals, head gasket set, new hoses n shit, water pump
a/c compressor (or at least a new clutch. anyone gotta source for these?)
Figure I'll replace the freeze plugs as preventative maintenance :cough:

I'll be trying to get my ducks in enough of a row that the car doesn't stay apart for a great length of time since I like to use it as my DD in the winter. there's nothing wrong with the Evo, I just have to let it warm up before driving it when the air temps start dropping below 40 at night.. it's a wretched whore when its cold.

There's also the issue of needing the utility of the wagon, and shop space. when this ball starts rolling, it's going to get rolling fast.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2011 08:26 AM by linuxman51.)
10-25-2011 08:12 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

bit of progress. I need a band saw, the sawzall isn't quite as precise as I'd like.

[Image: 139156147.jpg]

started with sticking the flange
[Image: 139156151.jpg]

futzed around, now the front runner is tacked together
[Image: 139156154.jpg]

my shitty welds and fab skills
[Image: 139156157.jpg]

side view with the turbulator hooked up
[Image: 139156160.jpg]

gonna get a little more straight pipe tomorrow, and maybe thursday get around to finishing the second runner and front piece of the brace. I'm just gonna mig it together, I need the practice, and it's not a tremendous investment in materials.
10-25-2011 09:08 PM