the greenie meanie
Gross Polluter Offline
2JZ? No shit

RE: the greenie meanie
How well does this setup work on the deathwagon? I remember seeing it a while back but never checked in for results. Seems like it should work pretty damn decent.

68 Rustang - MS'd 351C
88 245 - 2JZGTE VVTi powered, MS3X/MSGPIO controlled
98 XJ - Stock(ish)
10-27-2011 01:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

works pretty well on the deathwagon, the 3.31 final drive is killing it out of the hole, but once it gets rolling it's pretty stout. in terms of head flow, the 16v is a little better stock for stock than the evo head, and these turbos make huge torque (and respectable power, in the 300's) on those guys, so that's kind of what I'm looking for. the torque more than the 300hp.
10-27-2011 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

and project updates: picked up some additional straight pipe (a scrap piece from my buddy's shop. underestimated what I needed by a couple inches. it's always those damn inches), and used his band saw to cut one of the 90's in half (2 45's). I need to get me one of those.

Today after work I'll probably mock up the last runner, and depending on what I feel like, run over to the warehouse where my spare 740 is and see how it fits up in the bay. an approximation for sure, since the other 740 is an 8v NA, but it should at least let me know what I'm dealing with should it not be where I want it. Then mig-tastic time.

friday will probably find me back under the hood of the gold bomb, pulling the cam box out to re-torque the head studs so I can hopefully not spray coolant down the track friday night should we take the nissan out for shakedowns. If I do get out there, I definitely won't be taking the car to import face off, since I'm apparently on borrowed time with the axles :-D
10-27-2011 07:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yea I'm not good at all at fabricating stuff. First time for everything I reckon (shoulda done it in mild steel, but oh well haha). I should have put the rear pipe on first, getting it to fit correctly is well.. I've basically taken it all the way back apart again. tried mashing some of the pipe in the vice to get it to clear up, that hasn't done me much good. Perhaps today after work, if the weather sucks. if the weather is nice, I'm pulling the cam box off goldie and checking the head stud torque.
10-28-2011 10:08 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

welded up.
[Image: 139276784.jpg]

smoothed out the ports after letting it cool off (assembled), now.. it's time to hurry up and wait. I have the turbo, manifold, and injectors (as well as the head and intake manifold), but the rest of the stuff will probably wait til december. there's a bit of a list to work out before the swap starts.
10-30-2011 10:16 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

test fit pics. if it doesn't work out like I want, I can re-purpose it for 8v use and sell it.
[Image: 139290128.jpg]

side view:
[Image: 139290126.jpg]

not bolted up yet either, so a bit more vertical clearance.
[Image: 139290124.jpg]
10-31-2011 08:50 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yegads, price for the seals and stuff from FCP is $370 shipped. they got another coupon aside from the 10% off? :-D

got it down to 350 with the Halloween coupon.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2011 11:36 AM by linuxman51.)
10-31-2011 11:24 AM
dhallilama Offline

(10-30-2011 10:16 PM)linuxman51 Wrote:  welded up.
[Image: 139276784.jpg]

smoothed out the ports after letting it cool off (assembled), now.. it's time to hurry up and wait. I have the turbo, manifold, and injectors (as well as the head and intake manifold), but the rest of the stuff will probably wait til december. there's a bit of a list to work out before the swap starts.

awesome!
looks familiar... i've got a heavy beast of an 'adapter' like that on my b20. with a honkin' holset hanging on it.

what are you doing for bracing?
10-31-2011 05:41 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

it has a brace that bolts to the exhaust manifold, just not attached in that picture (I shuffled something around while welding something and knocked it off, it was just tacked in place initially) you can see it in the test fit pics. I might put another one on the front that goes to the head. the little mitsu isn't that heavy either, so it should keep loading to a minimum.
10-31-2011 08:21 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

Check Rockauto for pricing too

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
11-01-2011 07:12 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

got the box of goodies from FCP last night, ran outside and installed the tailgate shocks right away. the rest of it will probably chill out on the mantle for a while. need to get the ball rolling on some other stuff (rods, etc) first, but soon! I also need to start piecing together the oil feed and return.

Was disapointed to see that the upper radiator hose from fcp was no longer the correct hose, but rather a spring loaded straight piece like you find on domestic trucks after someone shops at autozone. Undecided Little details like that irritate the shit out of me
11-08-2011 11:10 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

IF you need the correct hose I can get it for you cheap though shipping may kill the savings.

That's really really annoying, i'd be in the horn with them complaining, especially since i'm sure they showed a molded hose

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
11-08-2011 11:14 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yeah. I'll address that at lunch (or start addressing it).
11-08-2011 11:25 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

and they were good about taking care of it. had a box waiting for me when I got back from vacation. Need to open it up and double check that it's the correct part, but it oughta be.

now I just need to measure the drive shaft and order a new center support bushing (or maybe shim the one I've got, hrm.. nah, just order the part), some rods, and hell I might even just pick up a jy motor if me & sam are going to b-ham's pullapart.
11-16-2011 02:05 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

productive day at the jy, got a spare b230ft shortblock and 94 aw-71, a gold box ezk, spare ignition module, and a couple wheel speed sensors(abs is acting up, throws driver's side speed sensor code).

oh and another 16v head. it went on the b230 and instead of getting dinged for a $90 head and a $80 block, I got a $117 "4-cylinder engine" and a complete auto trans (so ~$200). upshot is now I can get things started, test fit stuff, have everything plumbed up before the engine swap starts, should cut down on downtime some there.

might order the ms3 stuff this weekend, depends. DIY is running a 10% off deal.
11-24-2011 12:15 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Damn you find this all at that local you pick yard?!

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
11-24-2011 03:20 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

the one in birmingham. it's got a metric ton of volvos. what you can't see is the 960 tb bolted to the 16v intake :-D

there were probably 5 more 960's floating around, a q45 or two (meh), probably 7 940's, only two were turbo'd, a bunch of 850s including one manual trans car. snagged another axle for sam's wagon, should be a 3.73. wagon will haul ass with the new converter and better ratio. Mine will be.. well we'll see where that goes in the next couple of weeks.
11-24-2011 07:08 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

pic of the shenanigans
[Image: 139864605.jpg]

probably would have stuffed an alternator on there but we didn't feel like fooling with it. looks like it has a recently replaced a/c compressor to boot. engine looked good, but there was some serious... ahh 'riggin' going on, some plug wires from something random, wrapped in electrical tape, some sort of home depot special long screw holding part of the downpipe on. short bus type stuff.
11-24-2011 07:37 AM
elbertopolvo Offline
right the relation

good to see that stuff goin into good hands!
11-25-2011 12:06 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

bolted stuff up to the new engine (jy late b230ft), to see how things were going to play out with the oil cooler and all that.. and it doesn't (yet)
[Image: 139968457.jpg]

[Image: 139968454.jpg]

this was somewhat expected, however, and isn't the end of the world. I need to take some measurements and see if I can run the downpipe over the top and down the back (pleeeeezzzz), if I can do that, then I should be able to modify the motor mount (or build one) bracket, and just drop the whole extension assembly down an inch or so.

Since I grabbed an entire shortblock (+trans), I have extras of all of these things, so getting it drop-in ready should not be a big problem. (famous last words). I think I'll try my hand at building a tensioner using 8v stuff, we'll see though.
11-28-2011 02:29 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

wheee, the ms3 box was waiting for me! Toys are always fun!

pretty wild stuff after diving in it's got yet again a different setup than ms2, bigger maps (yay), and still no onboard knock circuit, but whatever. Really cool shit.
12-01-2011 10:26 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

self ownage is a great thing. got in a little bit of a rush last night to get the ms3 on the car, and didn't check to verify that the board was configured to match my pnp harness. went out, got a good rpm signal, cranked on it for a minute or two, nothing (well not entirely nothing, it did flood out and hydro lock the engine, giggidy). turns out in my haste, I didn't realize the spark output was hooked up to another pin. whoops. Adjustments will be made, and then it will be attempted again. I think I might have fragged my wideband sensor though Sad

When I got it cranked up with lh, it ran for almost a minute off the fuel that was in the intake and chambers, but did eventually burn it all off. no other harm (maybe some watery oil heh).
12-02-2011 12:05 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

What wideband are you using?

'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
12-02-2011 12:11 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

AEM wideband.
12-02-2011 02:00 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

That's a bummer. makes the O2 sensor a bit pricier

'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
12-02-2011 02:11 PM