the greenie meanie
Coupe' de Tat Offline
bourbon the other foodgroup

RE: the greenie meanie
awesome, i took a bit of ribbing over leaving my AC on my cars, glad to see i'm not the only one!!!

what exh manifold is in play here? edit: ok i see, j-pipe
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 08:51 AM by Coupe' de Tat.)
09-20-2012 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yeah. twin scroll j-pipe. everything is hooked up. some things will need to be re-done at some point (like the oil return). hot side intercooler piping is terrible. basically just some shit cobbled together from the parts box. I'll cut greg loose on that. Should be good for the downpipe tomorrow, and then some time this weekend I'll shore up the oil return somehow. that fuckin hole in the block for the factory piece is damn huge.

will also need to update the firmware to get the knock control working correctly. got a number of little things to tidy up, as always. but should be interesting tuning this heap.
09-20-2012 11:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WolfDK Offline
Boost addicted Volvo freak

(09-20-2012 11:33 PM)linuxman51 Wrote:  yeah. twin scroll j-pipe. everything is hooked up. some things will need to be re-done at some point (like the oil return). hot side intercooler piping is terrible. basically just some shit cobbled together from the parts box. I'll cut greg loose on that. Should be good for the downpipe tomorrow, and then some time this weekend I'll shore up the oil return somehow. that fuckin hole in the block for the factory piece is damn huge.

will also need to update the firmware to get the knock control working correctly. got a number of little things to tidy up, as always. but should be interesting tuning this heap.

Get a big brass fitting, remove the threads in a lathe then machine a groove for an o-ring. Make sure the machined fitting is a tight fit, then the oring will keep it in place unless you vent a piston crown Tongue

- Enough boost is a fine balance between fun and flying parts
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 09:01 AM by WolfDK.)
09-21-2012 09:00 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

hm, interesting. what I may do is weld a tab on the return tube and bolt it to the block, see how that works.
09-21-2012 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

crickets. apt got bumped for materials or something, so now it's running up close to SE, something I was trying to avoid :sigh:

Oh well, I'll tidy up some other shit this week so there's not much left to do after it's done.
09-24-2012 11:26 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

slow evening. made a bracket that bolts to the mustache bar for the transmission, and clamped the oil return to it. seems solid now, time will tell.

covered most of the a/c components and the wiring in that corner of the engine bay with tin foil (to keep the aliens out), hopefully this will assuage any open exhaust damage on the trip to the speed shop for some downpipeage. I'll probably take the mat off the hood as well (paint's fucked, so temp isn't much of an issue here), or just remove the hood entirely for that JDM 'work in progress' look. .. hm for that I may just tack weld some scrap pipe straight up off the turbo... ideas.. anyway.
09-25-2012 08:37 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

have bad coil or something, not sure. the tune may be complete garbage as well, but I have a hard time thinking it fouled out where it wasn't all that rich before, with a brand new set of plugs, after about 10 minutes. driving across town with three holes is a pain in the ass, more so with a car that has zero quantifiable tune.

at any rate, car got dropped off for some work yesterday evening, be nice to go look at a finished product today, but I don't have time to fool with it til sunday, so Greg has plenty of time to work his pipe magic. I suspect I'll be bleeding a little bit afterwards, but it'll be alright. the damage will be worse when it's intercooler upgrade time.
09-28-2012 08:35 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yay, almost wrapped up. gotta get a few odds and ends after work, and measure up some stuff.

dp is 95% done, just gotta put a vband on the end and attach it to the rest of the exhaust.

trickery
[Image: 146406143.jpg]

shit's close, might have to work in a heat shield of some sort
[Image: 146406146.jpg]

the overall effect.
[Image: 146406148.jpg]

will need to go get some pcv stuff after work, as well as some 93 octane goodness, since I forgot it had 87 in it. oh well, playing around with the test modes last night I pumped the tank practically dry before adding ~2 gallons back in to get it to the gas station.
10-01-2012 02:19 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Looking good! I can't wait to see some numbers!

Maybe get the smaller round coolant tank and turn it sideways?

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 03:55 AM by WindowsBreakerG4.)
10-02-2012 03:54 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

coolant tank doesn't appear to get that hot during operation, certainly not hot enough to affect the plastic (i.e. it doesn't start getting soft). I still think a heat shield of some sort may be in order, we'll see. need to get a sleeve for the hose coming off the bottom as well as the lower radiator hose, but only for longevity. the car doesn't run hot at all.

and I put 19.3 gallons of gas in it last night lol, just baaarely made it to the gas station hahaha
10-02-2012 08:37 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

with all the exhaust hooked up.
10-02-2012 08:45 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

tidy time takes a while. got the wideband to finally match the ms (well, other way around, but you get the idea)
hooked the heat up, had a problem with the cam timing, corrected that.. it's about ready for prime time again.

I need to add additional crankcase ventilation and track down some oil leaks (what else is new /16v), and get the bov to release faster. oh and turn the boost up to 20 or so.
10-04-2012 10:55 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

fuck this thing is annoying. found the flaky coil after it reared it's ugly head whilst troubleshooting a timing drift problem. all sorts of niggling issues with this thing, pissing me offfffffffff aahhhhh
10-09-2012 04:17 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

So you figured it out?

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
10-09-2012 04:24 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

no, not yet. found a pebkac in the knock setup, but that didn't actually resolve the issue.
10-10-2012 11:45 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

ok, knock issue is resolved. knock sensor stuff in ms is not. Car at least can be tuned out now. I get some occasional ping-age, but it's much happier at 17psi now than it was four days ago at 7.
10-11-2012 07:57 AM
Gross Polluter Offline
2JZ? No shit

Out of curiosity, what was the issue with that?

68 Rustang - MS'd 351C
88 245 - 2JZGTE VVTi powered, MS3X/MSGPIO controlled
98 XJ - Stock(ish)
10-11-2012 03:59 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

replaced C31 with a .001uf cap vs the .01 cap that's 'stock', and the problem more or less went away. It still knocks now, but it's not a random issue, it knocks cause of the tune.

The car ran a 13.7 @ 99.9
short times were.. average, runs were average, it's not able to run as much boost as I would like (yet), at the track I was seeing 19psi spikes but the average was rarely over 15 even with the ebc maxed out, so it's got some setup tweaks and changes that will be required (what doesn't?), probably needs a better than OE intercooler as well, but at the moment the lack of additional bewstage is certainly not helping my cause.

Fwiw, sam's car was about 3mph faster, but he's been able to get his to run 18-19 consistently. I need to put the bigger injectors back in and maybe get yet a larger set.
10-16-2012 08:53 AM
Gross Polluter Offline
2JZ? No shit

Oh, you're using the VR input for a DSM CAS? Ballsy. I've seen nothing but problems with any setup I've worked on where a square wave was fed into that circuit.

So that begs the question, what are you using for the CAM sensor circuit?

68 Rustang - MS'd 351C
98 XJ - Stock(ish)
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2012 11:43 AM by Gross Polluter.)
10-16-2012 11:42 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

ms3x cam input. I've had nothing but trouble out of the v3.0 hall input for whatever reason, with anything I've tried on any number of boards.
10-16-2012 12:32 PM
Gross Polluter Offline
2JZ? No shit

I'd suspect that's a large source of problems. Both of those circuits have wayyyyyy too much hysteresis for square wave inputs.

68 Rustang - MS'd 351C
98 XJ - Stock(ish)
10-16-2012 01:18 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

hm. I'll look into that again, if for no other reason than consistency. not like it would require a huge re-wire. I think I'm using the hall input on the ms3x card, but I may not be, it's been pretty consistent, so I haven't really looked at that side of things.
10-17-2012 08:31 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

moderate updates: running about 50% mix of e-85 on my way to a full e conversion (will need bigger injectors tho). runs out good now, I just need to get the bewst up a bit more.

also, it turns out that it'll tow fairly well.
[Image: 151428402.jpg]
07-22-2013 10:08 AM