The Gold Bomb (still shooting for 9's in 2011)
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

The Gold Bomb (still shooting for 9's in 2011)
Rather than bring the saga over from tbricks, we'll just put an overview/jumping point. Most of you already know a large part of the back story here; for those who don't, this particular project started out like this:

[Image: 105946179.jpg]

A massive amount of time and effort went into making it look fairly clean:
[Image: 118044635.jpg]

only to have it go sideways on me at an exteremly high rate of speed (And partaking in unsafe practices)
[Image: 124533108.jpg]

[Image: 124533109.jpg]

It did save my life, and I've apparently got a burning desire to kill myself at a high rate of speed, so I salvaged as much of it as I could (A surprising amount, btw)

and put it all in this piece of shit:
[Image: 126407251.jpg]

I say piece of shit, because it is. I should have waited a little longer for a more appropriate (read: cleaner, less rusty, less trashed) shell, but the thought process was "hell it's a race car, who gives a damn what it looks like". That's never true, you're just lying to yourself.

anyway, made some motor mounts, finished a new twin scroll exhaust manifold, stuffed all the bullshit in the car, wired up a completely new management system (5 times, in fact,....fuckers), and ultimately this is where things were headed early this year:
[Image: 131659642.jpg]

the freshly rebuilt T67 shot me the bird (And shot the compressor nut off into the air filter, and proceeded to take itself appart at high speed), and I thought it was time for something a little more close to home
[Image: 131988796.jpg]

bring on the HX-52. Yes, when people ask about it at the track, I do tell them it's a factory turbo. With a straight face.

found the limits of a th350 with hardened sprag race:
[Image: 135077424.jpg]

Not as high as you'd think. Shift into 2nd with the wheels spinning and you'll have this sort of mess on your hands. Who knew. The domestic guys said I was "abusing" the transmission. I said they weren't making enough power to realize what a piece of shit it is.

rolled the fenders for some 255 lovin
[Image: 134810209.jpg]

Built and installed a Th-400 (if you're considering this, read up on Jakeshoe at nastyz28.com great info, cheap trans to build), fixed a couple things, and as many of you know from the post in the gallery, it posted a 10.7@128 (the mph is *not* correct, it's probably closer to 138, but we're going with what the time slip says).

Since procuring this 'shell', I've run into a number of issues that have lead me to seek out yet another shell, it's sitting under a cover elsewhere at the moment, waiting it's turn. while that's going on, I plan to test a number of things, I still have a 'stock' rear end in the car, and it's showing no signs of weakness yet (yes, I know, one hard launch off a trans brake will scatter the whole thing), so I'm testing a couple of things, and have plans for a few other things on this particular shell before I start to make the move.

Also, I plan to have the other one more or less "drop in" ready. One thing I had a hard time with on the grey car was motivation once I got it all the way apart. It's tough to make yourself go work on a project when you can't see the end for days and days and days. With this new approach, I plan to keep the gold bomb on the road shortly before making the jump, so I can still attend events as I wish, and I have something to go thrash on instead of the evo.

As such, you will see the occasional strange thing like this:
[Image: 138306577.jpg]

[Image: 137861966.jpg]

yes. that's a 4 inch 'up' pipe, through the hood. It took me 5 hours to get the rear shocks off this piece of shit three weekends ago. I really don't care, and I will be trying a number of probably... unorthodox things. The real race downpipe will remain 4 inches on the new car, but it will exit underneath the vehicle, not out the roof.

Specs:

b230-2.5L marine crank
RSI rods
RSI pistons
Clevite 77 rod bearings
oe mains
comettic .030 hg
ARP head studs
Folksrace FS324 cams. I *think* these are roughly equivalent to the Kelford 272's I have in my evo, but I'm not really sure.
Behive springs, made to fit(lol). For a modular 4.6. the 4.6 spring retainers would have gone a long way to making this easier on me.
Lash caps and renault lifters (shim over bucket, like b230 lifters). Not my favorite thing, but it's working at the moment.
Custom heebspeed intake manifold. Yes, I designed it. Yes, JohnV bitched about it on a swedish forum. Yes, they told him to pound sand.
Bondo header with go-autoworks wastegate ports, downpipe, and dump tube. Also go-autoworks intercooler piping.
Garrett 950 core intercooler core with ebay end tanks
Precision 1600cc injectors
100hp dry shot, about to be upped to get my 60' down, probably to a 125. if I can get my high flow solenoid fixed, I might go to a 150 shot on the launch and a separate 125 for the rest of the run (nitrous on a turbo car is WAY too much fun)

Holset HX-52 (it's a little small, but the price was right)

Heebspeed Th-400, basic build on a 400, converted to a forward pattern mvb, anti-centrifugal apply relief hole drilled in direct drum, 4L80e HD direct drum (34 element sprag vs the 1 way clutch on the post 66 th400's), stock frictions throughout.
Revmax "5400 rpm" stall converter, bellhousing to block adapter plate, qwkswede converter adapter

Pro-EFI-128 management system (it is slowly growing on me, but the lack of documentation SUCKS HARD and the owner, Jason Siebels IS A FUCKING DICK)

Hurst quarterstickII shifter (this thing makes automatics awesome)

Welded 1030 diff, stock axles

Modified rear subframe with solid aluminum bushed upper torque rod, and spherical bearing lower torque rod. reinforced frame, and bolt on upper flange instead of the slide-in bullshit from the factory

modified panhard rod (more of a test to see if I'd benefit from poly bushings), reinforced trailing arm mounts.

New-stock rear shocks, stock springs, poly strut rod bushings up front. stock swaybars. Stock fuel tank feeding a... 1.5 gallon surge tank that feeds my two bosch 044 fuel pumps

harbor freight oil temp gauge for the transmission (yeah baby, high class)

Oh and I'm forgetting all the cool Yoshifab stuff..
Yoshifab DSM CAS adapter (this thing is freaking awesome)
Yoshifab timing belt tensioner kit

Dale's underdrive pully. Probably going to put a stock dampener back on the car now that I'm not using the crank pulley for ecu timing. Not that Dale makes a bad product, far from it, I just don't feel the need to have it. I also don't feel the need to take it off, so that might happen later, or hell it might never happen.

That's where we're at. I think it makes around 600whp, I'd be more confident in that number if I could get consistent results in terms of boost, etc. The car is brutally fast in 2nd gear, if I can get the 60' down and get my 330' down as well, it might actually be fast through the 1/4. Realistically, I need it to run a low low 10/high 9 in street trim for it to be competitive in one of the classes I want to run it in (forced induction sport, IFO). If I want to run slicks, It's going to have to run something more like a low 9, because then I'll be racing sam's powerglidin' ass in his 1000 crank hp 240sx.. and I just don't have the stuff for that yet. Might not ever. Car is fun, as much of a piece of shit as it is, it blows down the track straight as shit after the first couple hundred feet, so I'm not disappointed with it.

aaand I'm also waiting on another cylinder head package that should blow what I've got now outa the water, so I'm not out of tricks by any stretch of the imagination Wink
09-24-2011 12:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Orie Offline
Parked in the garage

RE: The Gold Bomb (still shooting for 9's in 2011)
God damn LM, I have to say, I love your build threads and I am very glad that you lived through that horrible crash. The gold car may not be pretty, but are we not all just looking for that sleeper that makes every ones mouths drop to the floor? Though I admit, gold < metallic grey.

Also, I spy an EVO in the background of one or more of those pictures. But I guess that's an entirely different story. Ninja

Edit: I just realized there's a Geico car behind your old 744 in the lot, any story to that?

RIP seaNM9

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-Albert Einstein
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2011 02:23 AM by Orie.)
09-24-2011 02:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

I actually think I've gotten more out of this condensed thread than the 50 page one!

I am really looking forward to seeing this car at SE in a few weeks.

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
09-24-2011 02:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Matt Offline

i enjoy the brostack.
09-24-2011 03:32 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

(09-24-2011 02:20 AM)Orie Wrote:  God damn LM, I have to say, I love your build threads and I am very glad that you lived through that horrible crash. The gold car may not be pretty, but are we not all just looking for that sleeper that makes every ones mouths drop to the floor? Though I admit, gold < metallic grey.

Also, I spy an EVO in the background of one or more of those pictures. But I guess that's an entirely different story. Ninja

Edit: I just realized there's a Geico car behind your old 744 in the lot, any story to that?

there's a separate thread for the evo in the non-volvo projects section. It's no slouch either, runs mid 11's on pump gas (not e85).

The geico car was there for something else. There was no insurance claim on the car (because :cough: it wasn't insured at the time :cough: [/irresponsibility])
relatively little fallout though, the cop working the accident didn't care, the towing company bent me over sidways and backwards. I think the cop did want to know how fast we were going when we wrecked, but by the time I was having that conversation with him, 24 hours had passed and there was no way in hell I was going to fess up to what was really going on ('based on your skid marks and this and that, I'd say you were doing about 90mph when you hit the curb' "Ok, sounds good to me"). It was really a terrific wreck, I can promise that we cruised over the curb sideways at a cool 140mph if not faster than that... We'd *just* hit the limiter at 8k in 3rd (1:1) when the freeze plug popped out, the back end started to come around and I locked down the brakes in an attempt to get it to just skid straight down the road (well, ok, not straight, but stay on the road) but the fronts had enough traction before I locked em down that it headed off. could have been better if there wasn't a turn-off right where that happened, or it could have been worse, who knows. Either way, there realistically wasn't much of a chance that we didn't do something big as soon as it pointed towards the side of the road.

FWIW the skid marks leading up to the curb were only 50-60 feet long, so how he got 90mph from that is anyone's guess. I don't think he saw the 150 feet of burnout marks where we launched the car, the 80 or so feet where it hit 2nd, the additional stripes where I sprayed it in 2nd, and then the marks where I shifted into 3rd and hit it again. they kinda tell you what was going on, but it was dark, and despite the turbo attached to the engine sitting out by its lonesome self, and the frozen nitrous bottle sitting on top of a burm (all of which he had really good pictures of. I should go back down to the state trooper's office and get those), he didn't press the issue. The only citation I got was failure to provide insurance (no glove box in the car), and he wrote that based on the tag that was on the car, which was for my 850 (and I *did* have insurance on that). So as far as anyone knows, it was a blue 850 that got balled up, not a dark grey 740 that plainly said "740" on the smashed remnants of the trunk.
09-24-2011 07:48 AM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

I love your threads.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
09-27-2011 03:16 PM
elbertopolvo Offline
right the relation

this thing gonna be ready to make 9's in less than 2 weeks?
09-27-2011 05:16 PM
schaffee Offline

im excited

1982 242: trying to learn k-jet..
09-28-2011 10:21 PM
MrSam Offline
Grand Luxe Executive

What a car, thanks for the thread over here, way easier to read!

The Black Stallion
http://brickspeed.net/forum/showthread.p...0#pid33640

cheers
09-28-2011 10:27 PM
FuzzyPlushroom Offline
Real Muthaphukkin'

I'm thrilled that you've built the remains of this beast into a hideous 744 and made a four-inch functional exhaust hole in the hood, but I'm even more thrilled that you managed not to cop misuse of plates and reckless driving charges when you balled the first car - I never knew just how sketchy that situation was, heh.

[Image: cpwcql.png]
1993 244 (entropic)... aaaand formerly: 1989 244DL (LeMonified) - 1992 745T (forsaken) - 1994 855 (traded)
09-30-2011 06:43 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

well, I probably should have TBH, and expected something along those lines when I went to the trooper's office. aside from the car, I didn't damage anything, so the cop didn't really care I don't think.

ran downtown with sam today to get one of the big bottles. 60lbs baby (to fill the other nitrous bottles). If I feel better sunday, I'll do the trans flush and inspection, and see about stuffing a larger nitrous jet in the nozzle. need to get this thing to leave harder.

I suspect a RMVB with a brake is in my near future.
09-30-2011 10:31 PM
schaffee Offline

(09-24-2011 12:08 AM)linuxman51 Wrote:  found the limits of a th350 with hardened sprag race:
[Image: 135077424.jpg]

Not as high as you'd think. Shift into 2nd with the wheels spinning and you'll have this sort of mess on your hands. Who knew. The domestic guys said I was "abusing" the transmission. I said they weren't making enough power to realize what a piece of shit it is.

i laughed so fucking hard

1982 242: trying to learn k-jet..
09-30-2011 11:11 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

busy day today.. got a bigger (I think) nitrous jet on the car, took longer than wanted (as it turns out, NX and NOS nozzles are not compatible with each other's jets. stupid shit). trans flush and inspection went swimmingly, fluid was still clear, and just some light dust in the pan. new fluid, and we're good to go.

then I finally got around to beginning the assembly of a spare 400. about halfway through that process. wheeee
10-02-2011 10:11 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

and boo. don't have enough good stuff to finish the spare 400 (right now. obviously this is a correctable issue). discovered that the input shaft had a bunch of hidden dirt/rust down in the end of it, this won't do since there's not really a good way to ensure that it gets clean (and it's not an expensive part, doesn't make sense to spend a ton of time trying to get it pristine when I can just order a new one for $30 or whatever)
10-05-2011 08:21 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

damn. two-three trips to the track without breaking anything must have been the car being a cynic. first pass, leaves really good and hard, and twisted off the passenger axle I think right around the 60 foot, and immediately lit off the other tire. I lifted, shifted it into 2nd, got down on the gas and it seemed ok, hit the nitrous, lit the tire off again and started to rotate the car. off the gas, third gear, coast for a minute, tag it in third and apparently whitesmoked the driver's tire, car felt like it would head into the wall if I stayed on it, so I coasted to a 15.0. Fuck.
The SE pit crew was in full effect though, and I couldn't even get involved to work on my own car. shouts out to rob, towery, kaplan, mikep, and several other people who donated time and effort. got that fixed, went back out, determined not to break it again on the first shot so I hit the nitrous and then let off the nitrous, got back on it, clicked it into 2nd, put the rape train on my buddie's 6m-gte for about half of 2nd gear, heard a pop and the car stopped accelerating. What. The. Fuck.

Step on the gas, motor doesn't really rev any higher but it's not dead or anything, shift into third, yep third is there, hit the nitrous, nothing. intercooler piping. put the coupler back on the throttle body in the pits, go out for a last shot at something decent, blew the goddamn thing back off in the burnout box. realized after that that the clamp was toast, after tightening it up I could still push the elbow off the throttle body. So now I'm trying to track down a tbolt clamp that fits the q45 tb for tomorrow's dyno day, maybe to salvage some kind of show for the efforts of those who worked hard and fast to see it make a pass.
10-15-2011 02:56 AM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

A+ for effort, one and all. Smile

Good luck getting it together for tomorrow.

cheers

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
10-15-2011 03:07 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

yeah. gonna hinge on getting a clamp for the throttle body. i'm enjoying the smoke rolling off the egg, just loaded it up with 4 butts. I suspect I'll be a little late arriving to the dyno.
10-15-2011 03:23 AM
Shifted Offline
Shoganai...

Is it a bad clamp or is there just no friction seal?

Drill the biatch and use some self tapping screws to take the pressure off the clamp, then all it has to do is seal the thing up.

Bullshitters have been keelhauled.
10-15-2011 05:01 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

not much room to do that, the clamp has been fine but it was a cheap worm gear thing that should have been replaced 8 months ago. I think the th350 broke and it kinda got forgotten about in the aftermath of that.
10-15-2011 09:30 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

fuck this car
10-15-2011 07:13 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

still on bad terms with the gold car (I'm tellin' ya, it's a love or hate relationship, there is no in between), but I've re-torqued the headstuds, put the quiet exhaust back on the car, and cut a hole in the thermostat to let air out easier (also if the t-stat isn't fully open, let stuff out).

this has delivered two things almost immediately- it took a little longer to warm up (but had little effect on overall operating temperature), but also cools off very rapidly, I let it get a little warm without the fans off. also pulled some timing out of the nitrous map, added fuel to the nitrous engagement (not that I really think it was lean, but hey), and had it pull additional timing out when I hit it with the giggly.

So we'll see. I'll race it at IFO sunday and probably break the shit out of the rear end again, but if that's all it does I can live with that.
11-04-2011 04:18 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Good luck!

Wonder what it'd cost to have stronger axels made. Probably not worth it though

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
11-04-2011 04:28 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

waiting to find out. if I can get some decently stronger axles for at or under 500 I'll do that for the time being, if it's much more than that, it doesn't make any kind of sense not to go ahead and stuff some kind of 8.8 in it.

The only reason I'd like to wait a little while on that, is I'd like to change up the rear suspension for something more drag-friendly on the other car, be nice to only have to do all that shit at once ya know? (same with a roll cage and that sort of thing)

If I have to put one in the gold car, it's going to retain mostly stock suspension and just be adapted to fit.
11-04-2011 04:51 PM
Orie Offline
Parked in the garage

When the stock axles break, do they usually damage the carrier as well? Or can you often just swap out new shafts. Or are the failures totally random?

RIP seaNM9

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-Albert Einstein
11-04-2011 05:15 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

I can't speak 100% but the carrier looked ok. Everybody just swapped the new axles in at the track.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
11-04-2011 05:16 PM