The Gold Bomb (still shooting for 9's in 2011)
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

RE: The Gold Bomb (still shooting for 9's in 2011)
it's a different one. I'll post details when it's under contract.
12-18-2011 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

SO you didn't break anything today?

Volvo Documents, a growing collection

Karl Buchka Wrote:Matching gasoline is the new matching numbers.

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
12-18-2011 07:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

No I broke something. 3rd gear doesn't hold power any more (well, doesn't hold significant power. drove home fine).

Still ran a 10.49@128. Damn pro-efi is killing me on the open loop boost control.
12-18-2011 08:14 PM
nathaninwa Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Nice numbers!
12-18-2011 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

Thanks Nathan!

I've gotten a couple questions about it here, there and yonder, so I reckon a 'state of the onion' is a little called for:

First, this isn't the final iteration. The gold car is a giant pile of shit. Not exactly cobbled together (as I didn't realize the full extent of what I was in for until 85% of the work was done) but.. it's got a number of short comings that, combined with the relative accessibility of donor shells, makes it undesirable for a long-term investment. So for the lingering thoughts of "why put that much effort/time/money/etc into that particular piece of shit?"... well, I was in too deep before I realized what I was up against (and working against the clock initially as well, trying to get it back together for SE IX). The next shell awaits (and will probably await longer given the house situation), and it will start from the drawing board with drag car only in mind, with no attempt to hide that fact. I can't have a reliable safe and obscenely fast car with full interior, so a couple things go out the window (although reliability arguably isn't one of them)- I want something I can take to the track on any given day, and blister off a single digit time, and that will require more consistency out of the tune, the chassis, and, well, me.

Problems with this implementation:
Well, it's not a short-cut car, I re-did many things that I didn't like about the grey car (and in the process found many more things I don't like), but it isn't without it's set of issues. It appears to have been a rust belt car at some point in it's life (that, or flooded.), there are a number of things underneath it that are suspect in nature. not beyond the scope of repair, but let's face it-when you can turn around and pick up another straight 740 for $300, why even bother?
I toyed with the idea of leaving it in a spec-type class (in this case, Forced induction sport, or street), and depending on the rules regarding roll cages I might be able to retain enough of the factory interior to turn things down and still do that in the future, but one thing I have learned this year with 'street slicks' is that they tear stuff up. The tires aren't really any cheaper either, and you can go faster longer with full on slicks (no wheel hop there).

Another issue I've fought with since day one with the grey car has been transmission issues. Some (heh, all maybe?) has been self-inflicted, some has been the result of bad advice, some has been bad luck, and probably along the way some has been the result of corners cut. I started out with the t5, it was great until the wick got turned up on the 16v, then that was the end of that. two clutches and two gear boxes in the space of about 1000 miles, doesn't make for a warm fuzzy when you're dropping 300+ for a box and ~400 for a clutch (that, as it turns out, probably would have killed me when the flywheel eventually would have blown up). So I picked up the volvo auto flag for a while, trying to see what I could learn there (and I did. and continue to learn things about them), but the bottom line with that-the bar was already too high. Maybe possibly if I were a seasoned transmission vet with the special tools to test these things, I could have come up with something to last longer than 3-4 trips down the track, but I wasn't and still am not. Many an aw71 died a rapid and violent death in that process. Then came the GM auto. I'd been told time and again "you can't break a th350, they're great". Well, this is only partially true:

You can't break a th350 if you:
1) build the snot out of it
2) don't use it for anything fun
3) don't let anything fun happen while you're using it

First round with the 350 saw it roll over and die on the dyno at a measly 370whp. Second round was doing quite well (although there were signs of things about to start going wrong on the teardown) and then it suddenly lost 2nd gear the first time I sprayed it after rolling off the line. It basically went: bog, go, spray, whee, spin, lift, shift, spray-nothing. box of rocks. Turns out the hardened sprag race is prone to explode just like the one it replaces. This is considered "abuse" because the tires were spinning. Fuck that.

Then came the 400. This time, being the cynic that I am, I roundly ignored all advice to "just run it". I got a reman box from jasper engines (had about 1000 miles on the engine and trans, and looked the part too), tore it down, and found a number of inconsistencies there, but that's just a warning to not buy stuff from jasper. Went through this transmission, did the HD upgrade/free bullshit: 36 element 4l80e direct drum with pressure bleed off, manual valve body conversion, full line pressure conversion/mod, converter restrictor, full bushing replacement, etc. And stock clutches.. This thing is a much MUCH MUCH stronger setup than anything the th350 ever thought about being. in fact if you set it beside an aw71, and scaled the aw71 up about.. 200% and then dropped the over drive unit off the front... you'd have basically the same thing. The 400 has treated me fairly well, I have no complaints in this regard-I have abused it at the track, it's probably seen... 15-20 spray launches, another 10-15 no spray runs (where the car "only" traps 123-125mph), and until this last pass, never missed a beat. I'll honestly be shocked if the clutches in 3rd are really gone, I believe it just dropped hydraulic pressure. Even if it did lose the clutches, I'll only be out ~ $8

The ecu. Yes, oddly enough this is a constant source of consternation for me. I think I'm sticking with it this long out of spite more than anything else(which is a bad reason, I know this, I just can't stop. it's like watching a train wreck in slow motion).. It really is doing alright, I need to sit down and figure out some of the more advanced features, and it'll start to mellow things out a lot. Right now boost control is killing me, and that might not be any different with MS either except MS has two boost duty cycle tables. I need the closed loop boost control to work better so when I spray the dogshit out of it, the boost doesn't sing to the moon like it's been prone to do here lately. Or I guess I can just tune it out for 48-49psi. the trap speeds would reflect the power if I didn't have to pull the duty cycles way down so it wouldn't overshoot by 8-9psi on the button, and put it in a spot on the map where things are 'safe' (and thus conducive to runaway boost)

So going forward, we're going to leave the slicks on the car, I may or may not track down some upgraded stock axles, but most of the effort on this is going to be sorting out ecu-related things, and figuring out transmission stuff as it occurs. The other shell will get stripped to just about bare metal, caged, mini-tubbed, and 3 or 4 link'd with a ford axle.
12-23-2011 10:56 AM
MKUltra Offline
PimpStatus

Getting power to the ground and keeping the car straight. Car is extremely impressive considering its doing tens with a full interior...

'66 Bug, Garage Queen, On the other side of the world...
'91 245, bent, sold
'95 Yota p/u SOLD
'90 245 "The Toaster",
'66 Mercedes-Benz, Burnt,SOLD
'82 245 cali car SOLD
[Image: 240flagsig.png]
12-23-2011 04:01 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

and a nitrous bottle strapped to the center armrest in the backseat...

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
12-23-2011 04:05 PM
MKUltra Offline
PimpStatus

Details... Pssshh lol

'66 Bug, Garage Queen, On the other side of the world...
'91 245, bent, sold
'95 Yota p/u SOLD
'90 245 "The Toaster",
'66 Mercedes-Benz, Burnt,SOLD
'82 245 cali car SOLD
[Image: 240flagsig.png]
12-23-2011 07:25 PM
scottyd Offline
Posting Freak

No I'm saying its baller.

'97 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5TD - FailBus
'84 245GLT - FailWagon
'92 245DL - The iFixit.com Lemon
'95 850T5R - ButterCup

Cheap Camber Plates!
12-23-2011 08:20 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

(12-23-2011 04:05 PM)scottyd Wrote:  and a nitrous bottle strapped to the center armrest in the backseat...

I'll do that as long as I can, it looks great right there Sleepy
12-23-2011 10:13 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

I wish I had a picture of that. It's epic and awesome! Does you wagon have the child seat in the middle so you can put one there?

MIKEHOWELLS! Wrote:I think the underlying cause of this is allowing too many N/A users on the board.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2011 01:40 PM by WindowsBreakerG4.)
12-24-2011 01:40 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

I dunno, it might. but I'm not spraying the wagon.
12-24-2011 05:11 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

no updates in a while in this thread (well, nothing really to update. it's been sitting in the woods for a while) pulled it out last night and pushed it up onto the carport (the joys of big lawnmowers), and yanked the engine/trans. this would have gone a lot smoother and faster if I'd:

a) not gotten sidetracked by burning stuff.
b) remembered that I'd left a motion limiting chain bolted to the engine from the cross member. for about 25 minutes we shook, moved, adjusted, unbolted, tweaked, jacked, and otherwise messed around with the thing before realizing that. I didn't catch it until AFTER i'd unbolted the x member bolts (no easy task on this car, I might add)

oh well. Whooped up on the ignition module as well, might be time to switch to CNP on this car as well.
07-16-2012 08:28 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

So does that mean the end of the gold body?

07-17-2012 08:58 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

no, not yet.
07-18-2012 08:14 AM
harribert Offline
Now with moar Honda.

Does it mean that the gold body will run 9s?

Harald

Uberhoopt; '91 244 -- GONE
Honda Fit (to be nicknamed) '11

Quote:Originally Posted by Inc3pt
You talk so much **** it's amazing
Carry on.

Quote:Originally Posted by Quin
when harald's telling you not to be a bitch, you know you're being a bitch
07-18-2012 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

Should I update the thread title?

07-18-2012 12:26 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

nah. goals are goals even if they're a year or two late.
07-19-2012 08:06 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

got the clutches out, found some smokey goodness, but not heavily damaged. will have to measure out the clearances and see how much of a hit they took, for curiosity sake.

plan will be to get it back together probably with 4l80 hd frictions, 4 intermediate clutches, and I may look into rolling 6 clutches into the forward drum. Gotta put out a hit on a forward pattern transbrake valvebody, time to really start breaking axles and shit.
07-20-2012 02:52 PM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

wewt! You grabbing that aux fuel tank and doing an 8.8 too?

07-20-2012 07:19 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

eh I dunno. gotta check the rules for the races I would be doing. might just go back to the fuel cell.

got the head off, I've got at least two exhaust valves hanging up (not bent.. well they weren't hell they may be now), the #1 valve was stuck wide ass open from rotating the engine on the stand, that locked the engine up nicely. It appears that those two are they only two to make P2V contact. Yay. Need to get that thing apart and see about getting some bronze valve guides to ward off this kind of shit.
07-23-2012 07:58 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

ordered up some bronze guides and a new set of exhaust valves, woohoo. Shout out to John V for the info, the guys at SIvalves.com were great to deal with to boot.
07-26-2012 11:10 AM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

aaand this piece of shit is back in the woods (well, not all the way. when I get a chainsaw it will be though)
09-18-2012 10:36 AM
WindowsBreakerG4 Offline
Cookies Required

When you're done with it you should totally leave the hulk there

09-18-2012 02:08 PM
linuxman51 Offline
BrickSpeed Vendor

when I'm done with it i'm going to crush it with the tractor and vent a lot of frustration runaway

engine and trans are back together after a fashion, shoved in the car, hooked up plumbed up wired back up yada yada...

and the 044's are dead. I'll try again this afternoon before buying two new ones. got it to run briefly on two cylinders after jacking with the hose routing in the back, leaking gas all over the place in the process. not sure why it was only hitting on 2, will do a spark check and narrow it down hopefully, i'll go into orbit if the injectors and the pumps died, after purging the fuel system to avoid these issues.
09-30-2013 11:25 AM